Thread: Corrupt jpegs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Corrupt jpegs

Hi:

A friend of mine has returned from a holiday in the USA, copied all his photos onto his PC, and can't open any of them.

The files are there - all about 2 Mb - and the thumbnails show up fine but the photos won't open. I've tried playing around with them in Infanview, but withut sucess.

Does anyone know of a program that will recover corrupt jpegs?

I'm assuming his camera memory card is stuffed and suggested he gets a new one, but of course that doesn't help with the existing photos.
    Regards,

Tony
    [s] [/s]
    www.SylviArtist.com

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Corrupt jpegs

There are 2 possibilities
    - images were corrupted when stored on the camera memory
    - images were corrupted in the transfer process to the PC

If the pictures are still on his camera memory card, it may be worth copying them a second time to a new PC. If the pictures were deleted from the camera as part of the download process, then image recovery software exists that should be able to retrieve the pictures.

I've used Digital Image Recovery to recover images from a loose memory card found by a muddy path, and Recuva was mentioned in this forum back in February by TonyE

One or other of the software packages may be even able to retrieve image data from the corrupted files on the camera.

Digital Image Recovery is no longer freeware, but the trial version includes the image recovery that can be run without paying for the software,

Hope this helps, let us know how your friend gets on.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm far from an expert on photos, Tony, but I would think that if the thumbnails are showing OK, the photos are probably NOT corrupt. I have seen some instances where the thumbnail part of Irfanview doesn't work properly, so can we try to open one or two in some other manner to see what happens? If your OS is Windows XP, how about running Windows Explorer on the folder where the files are and right-click on one selecting then the "Preview" choice to see if XP will show the image. You could also try some other "normal" program like PSP or Paint.Net (free).

I suppose, as has already been suggested, the copy from the memory card to the hard drive got somehow corrupt and could be re-tried. But as I said, I don't understand how the thumbs would be viewable and yet the photo not "editable" (unless the thumbs are separate files on the memory card, created by his camera).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Al,

The thumbnails are stored in the file Thumbs.db and may display correctly even if the jpg files have become corrupt.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs.DB is created by WinXP, Stuart and he said he was using Irfanview which doesn't use or create that filename. I don't know for sure, but I think Irfanview makes its thumbnail image from the graphic file, which is what led me to believe that he might have a chance that the files can be saved. We'll have to wait until we hear from Tony I guess...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks guys for the responses. Sorry for being slow to reply - I've been away from the web for a couple of days.

The thumbnails I was referring to were those shown in Windows Explorer (XP) and I assumed they were independent of the actual files, as Stuart says. It was only after I had tried to open them through Windows Picture Manager, Photoshop and PowerPoint, and failed in all, that I turned to Irvanview.

I didn't realise, Al, that Irvanview created it's own thumbnails. When I tried that, after reading your post, the thumbnails came out as grey rectangles, so it looks as though the photos are lost, even though they are still 2 Mb in size.

Thanks, GFamily, for the link to z-a-recovery. I will pass that on to my friend to see if that download will recover any photos from what we must assume is a corrupt memory card.
    Regards,

Tony
    [s] [/s]
    www.SylviArtist.com