5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table (Word 2002)

I've been working on a Word template which is mainly table that is meant to duplicate a government form. The table has about 50 rows and as many as 8 columns. Cells have been merged, split, shaded; single line borders are used here and there. Cell alignment varies. Many different styles as used, as the design of the form is a bit eccentric. (Government forms often are eccentric.)

After all of the editing I've done over several days, what is the best way to ensure that this is a stable table? I generally select and copy the table, and paste it into a new document with margins which mimic the original document. If necessary, I copy styles with the Organizer. I've always felt that this gives Word the opportunity to re-think the table and sort out any garbage that remains from the extensive editing. Is there a better way to ensure that my template with this complex table is going to spawn healthy documents that aren't prone to corruption? The template is protected, and contains about 100 forms fields: about 85 checkboxes, plus text fields .

Thanks,
    Richard Barrett

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table (Word 2002)

Hi Richard.

A copy and paste should never give too many hassles, no matter how many times it is copied. Since it is digital, it will not loose quality with many copies. I would (if it is possible) prevent the use of to many styles and 'fancy' things, and use as simple as possible formatting within the table. If this is the case, it will prevent any problems with moving it to different sources. Another thing I could recommend is to insert the table into another document by using the Insert | File command on the menus. This literally dumps a copy of that template into a source.
    Regards,
    Rudi

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I didn't express myself clearly. I'm not looking to preserve the integrity of a table during the copy/paste process; I'm looking to *improve* the integrity of a table which has suffered stress during a two-day process in which I have struggled to create an exact replica of an overly complex (and unattractive) government form. Of necessity there are about 20 paragraph styles and the rows and columns of the table have been merged and split to create the precise look of the original. Styles are mandatory because we train our users not to use direct formatting. With styles, I can adjust the line spacing or font size and have it apply to all affected paragraphs. This is a big help when the last row of the table pushes to a 2nd pages.

The table has about 200 cells in it, most of which contain text (protected) or a checkbox or text box form field. The creation of this form has involved trial and error -- holding my document and the original up to a light to compare -- and I'm looking for something that will rid my now-perfect looking document of the garbage that builds up during heavy editing. Ideas which occured to me: Save to RTF and then back to .doc format; save to XML, and then convert back to .doc format... and as I mentioned in my previous post, copying and pasting the table to a new document in the hope that only the needed information will make it to the new document.

So... I'm wondering if anyone has tried-and-true experience with clearing the cobwebs out of a complex table.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Since you want to preserve the formfields, styles etc., it may not be that easy to get rid of the "garbage". Saving to HTML loses too much, saving to RTF might do the job, but it tends to preserve too much for your purpose...