Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

footnotes and endnotes (Word 2002 XP SR3)

I have a Word document with a combination of footnotes and endnotes.

Its obvious the orginial document was setup with endnotes. And then other paragraphs and documents containing footnotes were pasted in.

The document layout is document containing footnotes. An area which must have been the last page as consists of endnotes, and other documents pasted after the endnotes.

When this document prints, it hangs on the area of the endnotes

I was under the impression that a document can only have one type of setup . ie either setup with endnotes, or setup with footnotes, but not both. Is this correct?

Is there an easy method to make either endnotes or footnotes, besides having to cut & paste each individual note?

Many thanks
    diana

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: footnotes and endnotes (Word 2002 XP SR3)

Hi Diana,

Firstly, footnotes and endnotes are two entirely different things, so a single document can have both of them involved in the document. The difference is this:

Footnote: Inserts at the bottom of the same page where you add the footnote symbol/number
    Endnote: Inserts at the very end of the document, irrespective of where the endnote symbol/number was added.

My opinion of the reason for having both these types is that footnotes make it easy to review a *quick* note since it is right there on the same page at the bottom, however you might use endnotes to add extensive or elaborated text to explain a concept or point. Since the point explained could be long, you insert it as an endnote so that it does not eat into the document space on the same page that contains the symbol/number. It is better to have extended text added to the END of the document.

So it is quite common to have both these types in one document.

As for you question : "Is there an easy method to make either endnotes or footnotes, besides having to cut & paste each individual note?"
    I think your best approach now would be to decide which points would need to be footnotes and which point would need to be endnotes, and then convert them accordingly.

See this link to show how to convert endnotes to footnotes (visa-versa). It also shows how you can convert ALL endnotes to footnotes (visa-versa) if you want. How do I convert footnotes to endnotes or vice versa?
    Regards,
    Rudi

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you Rudi

It was the first time I've come across both footnotes and endnotes in the one document. Prior to that I've only seen one or the other in a document.

thank you again Rudi

diana

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Is your document printing again? You said that it was hanging in the at the place where the endnotes were!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Yes that was the orginial symptom that it couldnt print...but now its printing successfully

thank you Rudi

diana