4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Embedding Word Documents (2003/SP2)

Dear Loungers,

I am trying to use OLE fields to embedd Word documents which I haven't tried before. I have made it work but have some questions that you may be able to answer:

1. Can I associate a Word template with the field/table/database/access?
    2. Can I extract the Word documents from the database so they are Word documents "proper" if required later?

Thank you........................... liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Embedding Word Documents (2003/SP2)

Are you sure that you want to embed Word documents in the database? Why not store the path+filename in the database and use a hyperlink to open the document from Access?

Anyway...
    1) An embedded document should still be have the same attached template it originally had.
    2) You can open the embedded document in Word by double-clicking the OLE field. You can then use File | Save As to save it as a separate document again.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

We may do it the other way as you suggest, what I am trying to understand the options.

It is possible to define an OLE field and then create the document using insert object, this opens a Word window (if you select Word Document) you can then type into this. I think the document is basing itself on Normal. So the question is can I force the template it uses? I thought I might be able to have a macro that is associated with a button called say "Create Description" this could then run InsertObject. I hope I could then specify a) a Word Document and the template. I can't see how. Is it possible?

The question about whether the object is embedded in the database or not is primarily one of identity, and perhaps I can macro-ise this. The word document needs to be identified using the unique identifier of the item it relates to. For clarity it would be good if the name is also part of the file name. However item names will change over time, the only constant is therefore the unique id. But having a folder of word documents named with a meaningless number then makes it hard for a project member without Access to identify what they want. So we thought we might try embedding and if necessary the individual formatted descriptions (what is being stored in Word) could be extracted as required.

What would be useful is to understand the implication on db size, and whether the link to the template is maintained or the formatting becomes "in-line" after creation?

Just to explain a little more: this is part of a business model, my client doesn't have a repository-based business modelling tool so I am trying to invent what I need as simply but flexibly as possible. There are several documents that will be produced based on this data, they all contain subsets of the complete data-set. The "description" type of fields, rather than the pure data fields need to be consistently formatted so that when pulled into a particular deliverable i.e. a Word document, they will "fit" the designated formatting.

Hope this makes sense, thank you........... liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think you can specify a template when creating a new document for an OLE field.
    I don't think embedded documents are fundamentally different from documents stored separately. The document uses the macros, toolbars and autotext entries from the template, but the styles (which come from the template originally) are stored in the document itself.