Gold Lounger
    Thanks

SmartArt with numbers (2007)

Hi,

Is it possible to tweek office 2007 smartart to show a numbered list of stead of a bulleted lists. When I choose a smartart from the gallery it generates the smartart in a frame and puts "[text]" into the art where you must replace it with your own entries. The default "[text]" entries are lined up to a black dot bullet. I would like the bullet to be a number? Does anyone know a secret to change it or is this a fixed format!

TX
    Regards,
    Rudi

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: SmartArt with numbers (2007)

I think it is fixed Rudi.

None of Graphic styles offered include numbers in the graphics. If they had Graphical Numbers they would need to include an indefinite number of them as you could make your list very long.

However you can type numbers into the bulleted list as top level text, and some of the graphics then display this number inside the graphic.

(Sorry I can't illustrate what I mean, as I am not using a computer with Office 2007 at the moment.)
    Regards
    John

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rudi,

I hope I haven't misunderstood your problem, but ...

If you click on the SmarArt icon in Word 2007 and select,. for example, the Org chart option you get a generic Org chart and each box prompts with [Click to Add Text]. If you place the cursor in that prompt and right click you get a range of options, one of which is Numbering. You can then put numbers into the text box.

Regards

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

I think I understand your statement : >> However you can type numbers into the bulleted list as top level text, and some of the graphics then display this number inside the graphic.
    Just to confirm, is this what you mean; that I type numbers into the list?

Peter,
    TX for the reply. I tested your theory, but I did not see any option on the context menu to choose numbering? If you look at the screen shot, it contains no such option. I could not even format the smartart to remove the bullets, let alone change them.

As John suggests, it seems pretty fixed. One would have to live with it as it is, or figure out some way to customize it with creativity!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,
    Rudi

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rudi

Yes, I see your problem. I had mislead you because I had inserted the SmartArt graphic into a Word document that was in compatibility mode, that is, in the format of a Word 2003 document.

If I create a new document in Word 2007 I see exactly what you mean.

I don't have a direct solution, then, other than to suggest that you save your document in 2003 format and see if that helps. (You may, of course, lose some functionality available only in 2007 documents).

Cheers

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You loose all functionality. If I save a smartart into a 2003 format, it makes the smartart a picture object, and you cannot modify it at all.

Tx for your input. Cheers
    Regards,
    Rudi

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Rudi

This is what I had in mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    John

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hey, that does not look all that bad. Nice fix John. TX, I will definitely keep that in mind.
    Regards,
    Rudi