New Lounger
    Thanks

Jpeg preventing Word from opening (2002/2003)

Here's a stumper. Our company sent out a set of documents to a client who couldn't open them. The culprit eventually turned out of be a jpeg of the client's logo on the cover page of the documents. When removed the jpeg, the client was able to open the docs. Security-conscious client, presumably with good IT maintenance, has Word 2002, we have 2003. We had no problem with the docs. I'm told that the logo was a file we had had for some time, but we had made a new jpeg of it from an AI file, if I'm not mistaken. In the interest of avoiding such an issue in the future, is there either a ready means for testing or "looking into" such a jpeg to find a problem, or is there a known bug that might have caused this? I'm not finding answers in Web searches, other than references to 1. jpeg corruption in which the jpeg file itself won't open, or 2. references to unmaintained-registry problems that can cause confusion with jpeg and other files.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Jpeg preventing Word from opening (2002/2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Did the client get an error message when they tried to open one of the documents with the .jpeg file? If so, what did it say?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Jpeg preventing Word from opening (2002/2003)

I would assume that since you can open the document your conversion from ai to jpeg was not the problem. That is, the image is probably not at fault. Others may know if there is an issue with your version of Word, but I am not aware of any. Two things I might check are: i) place the logo image (just the image) on a separate sheet in the document and see if they can open that document. ii) using the same formatting for the cover page as the original document place another jpeg image in it and see if they can open that. It may be that something in your formatting for the cover page is version dependent. You said that when you removed the offending jpeg the client could open the document. Did you remove only the jpeg, or remove the whole page or change any of the page formatting?

<hr>In the interest of avoiding such an issue in the future<hr>
    If this is an important client, my one suggestion would be to have the same software they are using to proof your work. Some companies keep old systems and old versions for just this reason.

Paul