davebean

Macros in PowerPoint (Office 2000 SR1+2)

I use Office 2000 on Windows ME.

I am translating notes for several hundred PowerPoint lecture slides: from German to English. I do the English below the German section. I have the spelling check switched on, but I have to manually change the language from German to English to check my English work. So, I thought a macro would be nice to change the language from German to English. I can use the keyboard combinations to get down to the actual language of choice, then I have to use the mouse. But the macro doesn

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macros in PowerPoint (Office 2000 SR1+2)

Dave, I can't help but for this:
    1- Reply to this and paste in your code. Somebody may be able to look at it and suggest something.

2- Post it to the VBA forum.

davebean

Thanks for your answer. What code do you mean? this is the first time I am in the Lounge.

Thanks. David

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry. The Macro you recorded will place VB code in your editor. Open your document and press "ALT/F11" this will open the VB editor. There you can copy/paste the code that created the macro.

You could copy that code from you editor and paste it into this forum. Someone may be able to tell from the code why it does or doesn't work.

Sometimes, (this will likely not surprise you) just because you record what you do in a macro doesn't mean it will work as one.

PS Welcome to the lounge!

davebean

Hello, StarLounger (I see your picture, but I can

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The "StarLounger" moniker is part of this sites programing. Post enough stuff an you too will have many titles. Sort of like a bank.

It looks like your macro in fact recorded nothing, which is why it didn't work. I'd post the question to the VB page and tell them what you're trying to do: "I need to change from English to German language. (whatever)...is there a VB way to do this?"

24 MB doesn't seem too large a file, the question is why it's that big? Lots of pictures? It's relatively difficult for a file to 'ruin' a zip disk. If you mean ruin in that it won't read anymore, a reformat of the disk should fix that. If you feel the disk is unusable, I'd contact iomega.

A file 'type' can't really prevent you from recording a macro. However, just because you can 'record' a macro, doesn't mean it will work, as you've already seen.

The Alt/F11 should've opened your VB editor. Then on the left side you'll have to open various modules or projects to see the code.
    --Grant Holmes, speaker, developer

davebean

Thank you for your speedy reply, Grant.

Now all I need to do is find the VB page.

The file was so big because it had 61 pictures. And the four ZIP disks are in fact unusable: which is what I read when I tried to long-format them. I don

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

On the Lounge main page, two items below the PPoint threads is the VB/VBA/.NET forum. Post your VB question there.

Ask a friend with a Mac to try and use your zip disks. Often a Mac can read or reformat an unusable PC disk. Yes, even reformat it for windows usage.

Good luck!

davebean

Thanks very much, Grant, for the forum location, and for the tip on formatting from an Apple.

Will try that.

Very good help from you!

David

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Here are the macros that you need. They only work for PP2K and assume that you have a placeholder or textbox selected. You can set one placeholder to Engilsh and the other to German at the same time, so you could have a blank side setup this way and just copy it. Sorry it took so long; I've been on vacation. Post a reply if you need more help. -- Sam
    <pre>Sub English()
    ActiveWindow.Selection.ShapeRange.TextFrame.TextRa nge.LanguageID _
    = msoLanguageIDEnglishUS
    End Sub

Sub Dutch()
    ActiveWindow.Selection.ShapeRange.TextFrame.TextRa nge.LanguageID _
    = msoLanguageIDGerman
    End Sub
    </pre>

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

davebean

Many thanks for your two PPT macros, Sam.

My big question is, though, will they work in the

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, both macros work for the Notes page also. Maybe you didn't have the Notes selected. Here's a couple more lines to help you. This macro switches to Notes view, selects the notes, and sets the Notes language to French. Note that these macros only work for a single slide/placeholder. Do you want the code to loop through all of the slides? Hope this helps! --Sam
    <pre>Sub NotesFrench()
    ActiveWindow.ViewType = ppViewNotesPage
    ActiveWindow.Selection.SlideRange.Shapes("Rectangl e 3").Select
    ActiveWindow.Selection.ShapeRange.TextFrame.TextRa nge.LanguageID = _
    msoLanguageIDFrench
    End Sub
    </pre>

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>

davebean

Thanks very much, Sam. I am going to try this as soon as I get a breather.

Great help!

David