New Lounger
    Thanks

Time Left on Slide (2003/sp1)

Hey gang- been away from the forum for a long while. I've taught PP a long time, so am fairly well-versed on it.

I'm an entertainer and have built some of my own song slides (ala karaoke, but simpler). Every slide is timed till the next words/slide comes up timed to the music. Often in a song there is a short instrumental break. Let's say 15 seconds for this post.

I know how to build a series of slides that would count down, or one slide with number/text box/etc that change, etc.

Right now I just put "BREAK- 15 SEC" on one slide and let it auto transition without cute animation.

However, my file is already over 500 slides and heading for 600. There are over 60 songs in the presentation. Say only half of them have a break. Doing it by adding slides could mean adding another 400-500 slides, and doing it by animated boxes, etc. is problematic. Using standard settings from this ZIP file , one countdown for 15 seconds takes 22 seconds. That won't cut it. I have neither the time to mess with stuff like this, nor do I want to create that much overhead in my presentation.

Two questions:
    1- is there anything I've missed (office 2003-XP) that would do this natively?
    2- Is there anything available that would let me, on ONE slide set a time (15 seconds) for that slide, then have the numeric equivalent showing AND change the slide when expired.

I wish there was a "Show time till slide changes" feature that would run off the slide transition time and was a plug-in whatever.

I found this description , but don't have this time feature. Is that service pack 2??

Any ideas?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Time Left on Slide (2003/sp1)

Hi Grant

Take a look at this free download (you have to give an email address, I set up a throwaway one in hotmail), its big but I think it may be a great solution for you.

http://www.easyhr.com.au/software/info_cou..._powerpoint.htm

Post back if it does not fit the bill and I will try and have another snoop around

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Grant

A little dig around has taken me to Tushar Metha's site http://www.tushar-mehta.com/powerpoint/dow...r/ppt_timer.zip I always enjoy his PP tips but this little timer add in utility looks great it is small and can be set as a countdown timer, elapsed timer or time of day timer

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Steve, I don't think either of these are what I want. I'd done a bunch of searching and looked at them.

The first (Tushar) on CAN fire from within PP, but you have to click it to start it, it shows "above" the presentation, then has a goofy computerized voice that speaks the warning your timer is done. AND it doesn't fire the next slide. Other than that, its a nice timer.

Same basic issues with the other solution, mainly they both are EXE files called from within PP.

I appreciate your searches. I'm very surprised we can't find something like this. I'd think by now somebody would've done this.

Go figure.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Grant

Sorry, I had my speakers switched off and did not hear the voice in Tushars add in, but the time shows wherever you want it, Customise Timer, Place Text Box, the text box holder then contains the type of timer you have selected, you can make this any shape, size or colour.

Please see the attachment and tell me if I am on the right lines for your requirements, slide 1 emulates the last verse of Mack the Knife and then goes to slide 2 where the counter goes down to 15 and then onto slide 3.

Cheers

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

Steve, this just might work. Let me play a bit. Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Otay... Here's the problem with this approach. Although it's close! You've creatively 'blocked" the slide so as the numbers go up, you see the count down. However, I see...3..2..1... but then it takes another couple seconds to actually get off the screen going up.

What I changed though is this: Instead of showing the seconds at the bottom of the page, I changed mine so they show at the top of the page. While it takes those same couple seconds to start, by speeding it up (actually closer to the actual 15 seconds). For my application it's much better knowing when I have to start singing again even if the 15 "second" countdown is only really 12 seconds/whatever.

FWIW, it's not like I don't know my music, I sometimes (in longer breaks) get out and start dancing with the audience and a glance at my screen I know how soon to STOP.

With this change, I think i have a "close enough" solution.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Here's another idea I had based pretty much on yours. See attached file.

However, what we've been doing is pretty much a work around for what I really want, but here we are.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Grant

A little trick for a clock type timer that is actually more accurate than that I previousely posted is to manipulate a 'pie chart' and making each wedge worth a timed value when ungrouped, that way you get a ticking effect, I posted some examples a year or so back on the Brainy Betty web site but I can't find them now (thats why I have not put a link), heres a quick example though.

If this would be usefull I will post instructions on how to achieve it.

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

(With exception to the image used)... that's pretty cool. The one you had earlier that I modfied and posted will work for now. I moved the screen instead of the numbers and it always counts down. So in my case, no matter the delay, I'm just counting down the last 15 seconds. Like I said above, I wish I had a different solution, but this will do.

Call it Solved for me!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Grant you might want to look here and download the sample game (free) It has a neat timer.
    http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/countdown.html

New Lounger
    Thanks

VERY cool. I'm still looking for one that works off the slide transition "Timer". I have a blank slide with "BREAK" on it and if the slide transition is 28 seconds I want it to mark down 28 seconds AND change the slide on time. Wouldn't that be cool???

This is a neat idea. I created much the same effect using a 3d ball(GIF) I created in a graphics program then "wheel" it in too. Nice visual.