Lounger
    Thanks

My Proofing Comeuppance (03 Standard)

My wife's the linguist in the house. She recently lost the French grammar-check in Word 03. She has the full Language Pack, but has installed only the big Euro tongues - FR, IT, DE, ES. I post this in puzzlement. Yes, the problem's apparently fixed, but..... well, this might possibly help someone else, and I'm totally baffled

So what's the story?

So Italian works. So French spellchecks, but the grammar suggestions remain empty, and Word just races through a doc once it's free of spelling errors, popping up the "nothing found" box. There are obvious (deliberate) disagreements of subject-verb (number and gender, etc.) in the document, plus other unfelicities. Don't ask me for specifics - a Seine bargeman would giggle into his sleeve if he heard my French.

I take a look, after warning her (bright, semi-technical and fearless): "Don't mess around too much. Microsoft's put a "genuine" hex on this version. And don't accept SP3, because you'll lose old-file import until I patch it back."

None of the patches for the LangPack (there's a specific FR grammar patch incorporated in SP2) will apply - I've already done them, of course. Uninstalling the LangPak and reinstalling, with reboots, with/without patching has no effect on the problem. I decide to defer a repair-install of all of Office. I get ready to shelve my problems and hit the web for her, knowing well what side my bread is buttered on.

Meanwhile, she's spelunking for DLLs and LEXes. "What's a DLL? What are these 1022, etc., folders." I tell her. "Why are these DLLs in both the proof and the language subdirs?" I tell her I dunno. We're both puzzled at the fact that MSGRFR.LEX is a 1k text placeholder, at all patch levels of the pack. Where's the LEX? In the DLL? We're mystified.

Soooo. She moves the French DLL out of the 1036 dir, renames it, and erases the dir, apparently solely on some cosmic instinct. She spell/grammar-checks. Word nicely throws an error, offering a reinstall. It does so, apparently from MSOCACHE. Suddenly, grammar-check starts working, complete with French-speaking doggie.

We're touching nothing for the moment. She's a genius. (And lucky? Shhhh.)

Soooo, what happened?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: My Proofing Comeuppance (03 Standard)

Apparently, one of the files associated with grammar checking in French became damaged (a bit flipped on the hard disk or so). Deleting the folder forced a repair installation...

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: My Proofing Comeuppance (03 Standard)

>a bit flipped on the hard disk

Possible, I guess. Odd that tweaking the program with deliberate folder damage works better than an uninstall/reinstall, no?