5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Images (Word 2003)

Hello,

Sometimes, I am moving around a shape or a picture with my arrow keys, and then it "snaps" into a position way at the top of the page, where it sometimes even gets cut off. I try moving it down with the arrow keys but it keeps on bouncing back up there. Does anyone know how to turn off that feature?

Sincerely,

JMT

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Images (Word 2003)

I cannot reproduce the problem, but I would avoid using floating pictures whenever possible. In-line pictures are *much* easier to handle.

Thanks

The positioning of floating pictures is somewhat mysterious to me. Your anchor point may be near a page break, or perhaps even on the other side of the page break, and that may be restricting the movement of the picture. Try cutting and pasting the image to the desired new location when you need to make long moves. Does that work any better?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I see this quite frequently. I fix it by using Format > Picture to set the position, instead of the mouse.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello again all.

Stuart, are you getting to the same place that I am getting to when I double-click the image, go to layout and then click "advanced"?

Jscher, when the image is set in front of or behind my text, as mine is, it doesn't matter where my cursor is when I cut and paste it; it reappears in about the place where I cut it once I paste it back in.

Does anyone find that using the Drawing Canvass helps at all? I usually just delete it immediately.

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I never use the Drawing Canvas. You can turn it off entirely:
    - Select Tools | Options...
    - Activate the General tab.
    - Clear the "Automatically create drawing canvas when inserting AutoShapes" check box.
    - Click OK.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> Stuart, are you getting to the same place that I am getting to when I double-click the image, go to layout and then click "advanced"?

Yes, and then use the Picture Position tab to place the picture in the correct place.

StuartR

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

When you try to move a text box (and apparently a picture, though I was not able to duplicate this) by cutting and pasting from one paragraph anchor position to another, Word unhelpfully adjusts the relative vertical position in a way that keeps the picture in its original place. Take a look at the vertical relative position, in the advanced layout dialog, before and after such a move. To correct to the new anchor position, change the vertical relative position value to 0.

The behavior is the same, but may seem different , if the anchor is to the margin or the page. Word handles cursor and arrow-key moves of frames and floating tables a little differently. Still, I find that the most reliable way to position any of these objects is through the advanced layout dialog.

Pam C
    Pam Caswell