Thread: Scheduled Tasks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Scheduled Tasks

I recently reformatted and ever since every time I open windows the scheduled tasks window opens.
    I cannot figure how to make it stop. any suggestions? I sure would appreciate it.
    Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Scheduled Tasks

Unless you have a burning need for it, I'd disable it. If nothing else, shut it off temporarily, reboot, and see if it decides to pop up.

You can turn off the scheduler by clicking on Advanced => Stop Using Task Scheduler.

If it still comes back to life, and even if it doesn't, you can also run MSCONFIG from Start => Run and see what is loading at startup - perhaps you have a shortcut in your startup group somewhere?
    -Mark

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I used to have trouble with this. It is not easy to remove it permanently by normal means. Kill it with MSCONFIG (if you have Win 9x) or get TaskKiller from my web site. This shows at least 2 (iirc) files involved. (mstask.exe was one). Kill them, then do a Search. Go to WindowsSystem (and anywhere else you've found them) and rename any executables to *.exx. If it comes back, repeat, then you'll need to edit the Registry (back up first).

Rgds

New Lounger
    Thanks

I went to msconfig and I found a box called scheduling agent unchecked it and it was back at reboot.
    You say by clicking on 'Advanced = stop using task scheduler" uh- wheres advanced. Stupid-Stupid--blush. thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

I thank you for your advise. Going into registry scares me. I just reformatted and I would just as soon have a root cannal as do that again.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

There should be a text menu at the top of the window that reads Advanced. If the window is small, it may be hidden from view. Check out the attached screen shot to see what I mean.

If that doesn't get it then we'll need to dig deeper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I went adavnced and followed directions annnd it still comes up. rebooted twice.
    What now, Coach?