2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Formula error? (2003)

I have attached a worksheet with a calculate error I can't figure out. On the first row I typed in all the numbers except the last which is the result of a formula.

The other row has more formulas through out it but is comes up with a different answer. I have tried changing the format of the number (currency, general, etc) and played around with the number of decimal places but can't get the two rows to come up with the same answer. Any help appreciated!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formula error? (2003)

If you clear the formats for all cells involved, you'll see that F1 contains the constant 27.17, while the result of the formula in F3 is 27,1739... There is a difference of .0039...
    H1 contains 13.59, which is *not* equal to 27.17 / 2. That would have been 13.585. H3 contains F3 / 2 = 13,5869... The difference between H1 and H3 is 0,00304...
    This difference is multiplied by 6 in column I, resulting in the difference 0,01826... between I1 and I3.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You could make the results in both rows the same by using the ROUND function, e.g. in F3 the formula =ROUND(E3/D3,2).
    But keep in mind that it is often not a good idea to round every intermediate result in a calculation unless that is a requirement. Otherwise, it is better to perform all calculations with the maximum available precision and only round the final result to the desired number of decimals.

See attached workbook.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, Thanks so much for this. It made the workbook work exactly the way we needed it to.