New Lounger
    Thanks

Schwa symbol (Word 97)

Does anyone know how to make a schwa symbol, the upside-down "e" in dictionary pronunciations that is a neutral sound in unstressed syllables, like the "e" in "agent"? I can't find it in the Word symbols.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Schwa symbol (Word 97)

I'm not sure about Word97; in Word2000, you find the schwa in big Unicode fonts like "Arial Unicode MS" and "Lucida Sans Unicode" (Insert > Symbol..., Subset "Latin Extended B", character 1DD, and/or Subset "IPA Extensions", character 259). In Word2000, the character code is displayed in the status bar of the document if you select the character in the Insert>Symbol-dialog. You can define a keyboard shortcut for the schwa in the same dialog.

If that doesn't work, you might try the very nice free "SIL Encore IPA" fonts (serif/sans serif/monospaced) in the software>fonts section of SIL International (http://www.SIL.org). They have the schwa on position 171 (

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Klaus, my favorite four-letter word, FREE. I'll check it out, and hope it has both Win and Mac; we use both platforms.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ed,

I found 2 things that worked and some that didn't...

What worked....
    There is a schwa character in the Arial Unicode MS font...Latin Extended-B subset. I don't know if that's a standard Windows 2000 font set or not...it couldn't be copy/pasted into this message.

You could also use WordArt to rotate an individual "e" character which would then be treated like a graphic element.

What didn't work...
    You can also create a text box in PPT that can be rotated. However, when you copy/paste into Word, the rotation is lost. Word lets you add text boxes but not rotate them.

There is a text direction option for Table cells but it only rotates 90 degrees, not 180.

The Equation Editor doesn't seem to have a rotation function.

Luck!
    Sue

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 97 does not support the Unicode standard, and hence font characters which are not found in the ANSI character set but only in the Unicode font can be used only from Word 2000 onwards.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Also try rotating text direction in Excel and pasting the rotated cell contents as a Picture/ MS Drawing Object

Thanks

Got $32?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/fonts.htm>IPA font set</A>