Thanks

Navigation (IE7, Vista)

In the past few weeks I've been having an annoying and intermittent "problem" with IE. When I click a link from a page, the new page opens as it should. But then, when I click on the "Back" button, the previous page display often opens at the top of the page. Sometimes it opens to the same area where I clicked on the link (the correct behaviour). In the Lounge for example, if I scroll down to Scuttlebutt, click on Scuttlebutt and then go back, the main index page sometimes displays correctly (i.e the bottom part of the page from where I clicked the link) but often the main index page displays starting at the top again. I then have to scroll down to display the lower part of the page. This is not unique to the Lounge,

This is just something that started within the last few weeks. I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this behaviour and if there is a simple solution.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Navigation (IE7, Vista)

I think it depends on whether IE decides it needs to download the page anew instead of getting it from the cache. Have you changed the cache settings recently?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg x.jpg (38.2 KB, 0 views)

Thanks

The only thing that comes to mind is if the view has to be refreshed, either by your settings or if the TIF cache is cleared. Does it make any consistent difference if you start browsing with an empty cache?

(I'm not sure how the cache works. Once you reach your limit, does it start removing items on a first-in-first-out basis?)

Thanks

No, I haven't changed cache settings. TIF is set to check for newer versions automatically. As for Lief's suggestion, I cleared the cache but the problem persists.
    John

Lounger
    Thanks

I am having the same problem as Rebel is. I also have made no chages to the cache settings and have tried clearing it as well as the the history. I think it began after the last securinty updates this month....

Thanks

Well I think I've isolated the problem. I have a Logitech MX Revolution with the latest version of SetPoint installed on December 30. The software solved one problem (see this thread ) but it looks like it introduced the current issue. Some experimenting revealed that if I click on the Back button in the browser, the previous page returns exactly as it should (every time). If I use the Back button on the mouse however, it returns to the top of the previous page. This is repeatable. Guess it's time to visit the Logitech forums.
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds like you've pinpointed the culprit. I hope you'll find a solution there.

Thanks

I think I have solved it Hans. Instead of accepting the default Forward & Back functions, I reassigned the Forward Button to keystroke "Shift+Backspace" and the Back Button to keystroke "Backspace". Everything seems to be working fine now. Odd that this didn't crop up in previous versions of SetPoint.
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Great! Thanks for posting the solution.