2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using two monitors? (Win XP Pro sp2)

Several of my work budies have HP nw8240's that essentialy work fine but in the conference room they want to connect a projector to the external display jack and get the same display on the laptop screen and the projector. The jack hardware in back works fine but the only way can get it to work is to use it as the second disply so they're always shoving things back an forth on the desktop. It's also an issue with doing network conferenceing because the only primary disply will export so we can't have the same stuff exported to the network and showing on the projector. You'd expect that if you disable the second display and hit Fn-F4 it would rotate through various combinations of LCD and ext display but no, if you disable the second display the ext jack is dead.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using two monitors? (Win XP Pro sp2)

The user does not have to be concerned with second monitor settings. What should happen is that with the computer working with its built in display you simply connect the monitor/projector to the VGA port. If the signal does not appear on the external display hit the Fn+F4 combination and the image should appear there. In short, have the multiple monitor support in XP turned off and use the computer keys to switch between computer display, projector or both. If the computer does not do this, it could be a hardware issue.

Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's what we have tried to do (switch the second display off and hit Fn+F4 to toggle dispays) but it doesn't work. I doubt it's a hardware issue because if you do enable the second dispay it does output video to the ext display. I also don't think it's a hardware issue because we have several laptops with the same problem.
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree that it is probably not a hardware problem. One thing that sounds worth exploring is the second display issue. The terminology used for the connection of a projector to the laptop is hooking up an "external display", which is different than a "second display" . The former is a laptop function and the latter is an operating system function . It is not as clean as that, but that is the essence of it. So the only thing I can suggest at the moment, and you have probably already done this, is to right click desktop , properties , settings and make sure that only display #1 is active and dark blue. Then hook up the projector and use the function keys as necessary.

The other thing you might look into is making sure the display resolution settings are consistent with the projector's capabilities. A lot of projectors have quite limited resolutions. You can also try a known good monitor as the external monitor.

Paul