2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network and Vista

For several years, I have had a wireless network which used a BT 1250 modem router. I used one of the networked PCs, which was quite elderly (1999 with some substitution), to record radio programs using a timer. I rarely had any failures. It ran on XP professional. Two months ago, the PC died, and I replaced it with a Dell PC running Windows Vista. It seemed to be working ok.

Then, my BT 1250 died. I have replaced this with a ZyXEL router/modem. This works fine on the other computers on the network (all running on XP). However, the new PC regularly becomes disconnected from the network, is sometimes connected to the network but not the internet. It is usually quite difficult to get it to re-connect. I get a variety of messages, usually suggesting that there is something wrong with the network, sometimes saying the password is wrong. On some occasions, I have to re-start the computer to connect again.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this. Is it a Vista problem, or is there something wrong with the router? It seems crazy that am elderly computer and a past-its-prime router worked perfectly, but that a new PC with an up-to-date operating system and a new router keep crashing.

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Network and Vista

Is the router Vista compatible? Is Vista up-to-date with patches? Have you looked at Windows Vista Help: Networking?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have checked on ZyXEL's web-site and it says that this device works without any known issue on Windows Vista. I has assumed it was as it does work for quite a lot of the time. It's just that it disconnects several times a day and does not re-connect itself. The three other PCs on the network all remain connected to the network. I will have a look at the web-site you recommend.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've checked on that web-site. There is a relevant bit - 'I get disconnected from my network periodically' - it suggests disabling the powersave mode. I have checked this and it is already disabled.

The 'Repair and Diagnose' never works - it usually ends up telling me to consultmy network administrator after some other message about incompatibility or the wrong security key. But when I re-start, it re-connects without any changes.

Administrator
    Thanks

It seems as though you've got intereference or a signal quality problem. Did you go through all of the troubleshooting section? Does the problem happen at about the same time after the PC has been booted?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I looked through all the trouble shooting section and found nothing.

The disconnections appear random - usually when I am not at the PC.

I have put a laptop whihchdoesn't appear to have any network problems in the same room as the problem PC to see if they both have problems wiht signal or interference. So far neither has disconnected...

Buy my old PC was in the same place and worked fine, and the new PC was also in the same place and worked with the old router. So it appears to be something to do with the combinationof new PC and new router.

But I am now waiting to see if a failure occurs on PC and laptop or on the PC.

Will keep you informed. Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is this new PC going to "Sleep" and/or into "Hibernation"?
    If so this action may break the connection to the router and NIC is not powering back on.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, the PC is not going into hibernation or switching off. It just seems ot lose the connection at random times, and does not make it again. Last time it happened, I got it to search for networks, and obtained the following message : 'The settings requirements on thsi computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network.'. When I re-started the computer, it connected up without any difficulty.

Administrator
    Thanks

Do you have the most current drivers for you wireless NIC?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The network on my PC has stayed connected now several days!!! I have no idea why though I fiddled about with various bits of the networking last time it disconnected and told me that I did not have the right security settings, so I may have unwittingly corrected whatever it was that was going wrong. I will get back again if/when it next fails.

I assume the drivers are ok, as the three other computers on the network (all working on XP) are fine, and ZyXEL says that there are no known Vista problems. But will check this.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I may suggest? Try changing the channel on the router to 1 or 11.