New Lounger

Using Acrobat object model (2003 or 2007)

I am trying to create a routine that can open an Adobe Acrobat file (.pdf) and then search it for a user generated string. Once I have managed that, I intend to write the number of times found within the pdf, the date etc to a table. I also intend doing this for Word as well.

I want to do this as my organisation is going to be receiving a large number of documents in either .doc (hopefully not .docx format just yet) or .pdf format and will want to be able to mass search them for key phrases etc. I am hoping to be able to do this via Access as the documents will be accompanied by an application form which will be input into an Access dB.

In my desperate attempts at hacking, I have made a reference to the following:
    Acrobat Access 3.0 Type Library
    Adobe Acrobat 8.0 Browser Control Type Library 1.0
    Adobe Acrobat 8.0 Type Library
    PDF Filter 1.0 Type Library
    PDF Shell 1.0

When viewing the above in the Object Browser, the only one that may seem to be of any use is Acrobat.AcroAVDoc.Open but I can't make any sense of that either as it is a function returning a boolean. It does not appear to be a file opening event as I hoped.

Thank you

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Using Acrobat object model (2003 or 2007)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

The Open method tries to open the specified PDF file, and it returns True if the file was opened succesfully, False if it failed. But I can't even create an AcroAVDoc object on my PC, so I can't offer more specific help.