Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

accFormAdd opens blank form (2003)

I have a form that loads with a subform set to continuous mode. When i used the command "DoCmd.OpenForm strDocName, acNormal, , , acFormReadOnly" the form opens in read only mode as I would expect. However when I open the form with "DoCmd.OpenForm strDocName, acNormal, , , acFormAdd", the form opens but there is nothing present. The form is just a blank white form. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

Thanks,
    BZ

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: accFormAdd opens blank form (2003)

This happens if the record source of the form is not updatable.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The database used to work fine. What would have caused this to change? The record source is based off a query.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if you open that query directly from the database window? Can you add a new record (i.e. is the New Record button enabled)?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If the query is the following statement, I can add new records:

SELECT tblEntry.[Emp#], tbljobnumbers.[Customer Name], tblEntry.[Job Number], tblEntry.[Activity Code], tblEntry.[Week#], tblEntry.MR, tblEntry.TUR, tblEntry.WR, tblEntry.THR, tblEntry.FR, tblEntry.SAR, tblEntry.SUR, tblEntry.MO, tblEntry.TUO, tblEntry.WO, tblEntry.THO, tblEntry.FO, tblEntry.SAO, tblEntry.SUO, tblEntry.Year, tbljobnumbers.[Billing Code], tbljobnumbers.Description, [Billing Code] & [Description] AS combine, Left([Billing Code],7) AS [Part of Billing Code]
    FROM tblEntry INNER JOIN tbljobnumbers ON tblEntry.[Job Number] = tbljobnumbers.[Job Number]
    WHERE (((tblEntry.[Emp#])=[Forms]![frmCalendar]![txtEmpNo]) AND ((tblEntry.[Week#])=[Forms]![frmCalendar]![txtCurWkSt]) AND ((tblEntry.Year)=[forms]![frmcalendar]![txtyear]))
    ORDER BY tbljobnumbers.[Customer Name], tblEntry.[Job Number];

I wanted to changed the table. Here is the modified version that won't allow me to add records:
    SELECT tblEntry.[Emp#], tbljobnumbersLoc.[Customer Name], tblEntry.[Job Number], tblEntry.[Activity Code], tblEntry.[Week#], tblEntry.MR, tblEntry.TUR, tblEntry.WR, tblEntry.THR, tblEntry.FR, tblEntry.SAR, tblEntry.SUR, tblEntry.MO, tblEntry.TUO, tblEntry.WO, tblEntry.THO, tblEntry.FO, tblEntry.SAO, tblEntry.SUO, tblEntry.Year, tbljobnumbersLoc.[Billing Code], tbljobnumbersLoc.Description, [Billing Code] & [Description] AS combine, Left([Billing Code],7) AS [Part of Billing Code]
    FROM tblEntry INNER JOIN tbljobnumbersLoc ON tblEntry.[Job Number] = tbljobnumbersLoc.[Job Number]
    WHERE (((tblEntry.[Emp#])=[Forms]![frmCalendar]![txtEmpNo]) AND ((tblEntry.[Week#])=[Forms]![frmCalendar]![txtCurWkSt]) AND ((tblEntry.Year)=[forms]![frmcalendar]![txtyear]))
    ORDER BY tbljobnumbersLoc.[Customer Name], tblEntry.[Job Number];

The only thing I changed was tblJobNumbers. I changed it to tblJobNumbersLoc. I created tblJobNumbersLoc just like I created the first table.
    Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a unique index on the Job Number field in tblJobNumbers? And in tblJobNumbersLoc? If the answers are Yes and No, respectively, create a unique index on Job Number in tblJobNumbersLoc.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

They are both linked tables... when I changed the indexed property to Yes in the home database, it did not update in the datebase i have the tabled linked to. Am I forgetting to do something?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps you should close and reopen the frontend database - linked tables take their indexes from the source tables in the backend.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here is my setup. I have two backend databases and a frontend. When the main form opens on the frontend, a make table query runs and copies a table from the one backend database on the network to the other backend database that resides on the local. I believe that every time the make table query runs it overwrites the table thus resetting the index field to no. Is there a way to force the backend to make the jobnumber field indexed?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You are correct: a make-table query overwrites the target table if it exists. You could do the following instead:

One-time action:
    - Import the table from the network backend into the local backend.

Each time the main form in the frontend is opened:
    - Run a delete query to delete all records from the local backend table.
    - Run an append query to add all records from the network backend table to the local backend table.
    Or simply import the network backend table again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Which method will take the least time? I would think the import would. Do I have to perform the import in VBA? If so, could you give me an example? I will search the help file while i wait for a reply. Thanks Hans...you never let me down!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you now run the make-table query using VBA, you should also run the delete+append queries or the import using VBA. If you import, you'd have to delete the target table first. Here is some dummy code:

' Delete target table if it exists
    On Error Resume Next
    DoCmd.DeleteObject acTable, "tblSomething"
    On Error GoTo 0 ' or use an error handler
    ' Import table from network backend
    DoCmd.TransferDatabase acImport, "Microsoft Access", "serversharefolderBackend.mdb", acTable, "tblSomething", "tblSomething"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I need to import the database everytime the main form is loaded. Will it append the data or will it overwrite?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

DoCmd.TransferDatabase acImport ... neither overwrites nor appends the data. If the target table already exists, it will create a new table with a sequence number after the name, e.g. if you import to tblData and if tblData already exists, it will create tblData1, just like when you import using File | Get External Data | Import...
    So you need to delete the existing table before importing.
    Alternatively, you can run a delete query and an append query.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is there a way to set the primary key of a table when I run a maketable query? I need this table to be created on the users computer that the database will be deployed on. I can't just have them copy the new database cause that would overwrite the data in the frontend stored on their local. What I need is to have a new table created in the frontend with a primary key defined.
    Is this possible?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast