Lounger
    Thanks

search feature for Access

I am setting up a database for my office and have been asked to apply search functionality to the database. What is the easiest way to slap a search on a table.

Ideally, my users would open the database and a search box would show that would return a report.

Thanks

Re: search feature for Access

Hi,
    Can you be a little more specific as to what you're trying to achieve? Do you want to run the same report every time but return only records that match the entered criteria or do you want them to be able to choose which report to run?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can use the content of a textbox in a query with a LIKE operator.

Check Woody's Access Watch #3.02 (yes the latest one). Here you will find a description and some examples of the LIKE operator.

Lounger
    Thanks

I've used LIKE to return a set of records based on a single criterion. What I'd truly like is to create a dialog box that would allow users to search on multiple criteria. (so folks could ask for something where field1 = "12", field2 = "John" and field = *. But the criteria would change with each search.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ken Getz (co-author of the Access 2000 Developer's Handbook and the Access 97 Developer's Handbook, etc.) created a QBF sample that opens a form specifically for query-by-form, then uses the criteria entered to open the form proper with the selected records displayed. You can download the samples from the Microsoft site at article Q136062 (Access 95/97) or article Q209645 (Access 2000)
    Charlotte