Lounger
    Thanks

Forms in word (2003 sp 2)

I recently created a fairly detailed form template in word - with much help from HansV. The templates up and being used, the problem is the inability to undo a drop down selection is killing me in the bad press department.
    the form is protected and so the user if they choose yes and then decide they meant no - cannot undo the yes drop down content. which leads me to wonder if there is an alternative way to create such forms maybe using html whereby the option of undoing your last move is possible. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Forms in word (2003 sp 2)

Is the problem that they can't fix it by just choosing the actually desired option in the drop-down? In other words, they lose other work they did or selections they made?

You could have a confirmation dialog before implementing the Yes, that would be easy. You could try to use Undo if the user changes the drop-down back to No, but how many "steps" would you want to undo? Hmmm... Or "the hard way" would be to store all the necessary original content and reinsert it.

Lounger
    Thanks

it's a protected form. for example choosing yes may cause a macro to unprotect the form then drop in an additional six fields then reprotect the document then lock the document - result user has six more fields that they only now discover they don't want - but without the ability - and i don't want them to have the ability - to unprotect the form, they are stuck with six irrelevant fields.
    Undo won't work as the form is protected.
    they would want to undo their last immediate selection - if they chose yes - they want to go back, remove any content resulting from that selection and start that particular question again.

Thanks

Can you zip a copy of the template and post it?

Lounger
    Thanks

sorry can't do that, but i have attached a sample with the macro and details of what happens. teh problem isn't that it doesn't work. The problem is users want to be able to reverse their mistake and they can't.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

One option would be to ask the questions on a userform instead of in the document itself. While the user is filling in the userform, it is possible to change the answers given. When all questions have been answered, the user clicks on a command button, and the code behind this button generates the document.

Thanks

> The problem is users want to be able to reverse their mistake and they can't.

Yes, of course not, you have made clear that the form is protected. They can't access that protected text, but your macro can. You know where the code is inserted and you could mark its boundaries for removal. So you just have to code your own "undo."

Lounger
    Thanks

I've thought of that, but wouldn't that involve creating individual 'undo' macros for each potential for incorrectly pressing yes instead of no?

Lounger
    Thanks

now to fast track my learning on how to create a userform.