2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What's cracking up - monitor or system box?

WInXP SP2 - Dell Dimension 5000 - ancient Dell monitor. Kaspersky 6 antivirus. I'm getting screen blackouts that last roughly a second. For last month, only when using FOXIT pdf reader. For last day, occasionally when using browser. This morning, every half minute and getting more frequent when I was using Word, Excel. finally every two seconds. Shut down. After an hour, restarted and everything seems stable. Another user had got up earlier than me and had been using Real Player - saw no blackouts. The only unusual operation started during the last month has been power saving by use of Stand-by - until then, merely switched off monitor and printer. Used hibernation when PC was new but not for last two years. Unusual situation since a week ago was de-installation of Agnitum Outpost firewall and reliance on Windows firewall.
    All help gratefully received!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: What's cracking up - monitor or system box?

Hmmm. Since you said that a shutdown (and cool off) period seems to make the problem stop, that does seem to make it look like a hardware failing problem, rather than some software widget giving you trouble. One of the easiest things to do, assuming you can't borrow another monitor for a few day test, would be to turn off any power conservation you currently have activated and go back to youd "OLD" way for a few days, i.e. power off the monitor manually.

I'm inclined to believe the problem IS in the monitor itself, for if you have had the series of blankouts that you described, one would think that something in the OS would have balked at the many brief power losses. I don't suppose you noticed the status of any lights on the system when the blankouts have happened?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: What's cracking up - monitor or system box?

Thank you, Big Al:
    So far so good after more than four hours under power.
    I had thought it might be that the video circuitry was failing.
    The printer operated faultlessly during the worst blackouts.
    There is another monitor in the house that I shall install when the problem recurs.
    Meanwhile, no power conservation functions.
    Thanks again,
    Syd.
    All help gratefully received!