New Lounger
    Thanks

Background Programs (Home Premium)

Hello Woody and Folks!
    As of today my computer is only two months old. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium (X32). There is one irritating feature that I need some help with. It appears that my hard drive runs almost constantly as indicated by the sound and the hard drive light flashing all the time. I know that many programs run in the background, but do you have any suggestions about what I could check to see what unnecessary programs are running and and how I can solve this problem? I have a feeling that performance is suffering because of all the drive activity. I have a 400 GB hard drive and have 3 GB of RAM. Any hints?
    Thanks,
    Mike Rapp

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Background Programs (Home Premium)

Welcome to the Lounge!

For the list of running processes,
    - press Ctrl, Alt and Delete keys on your keyboard simultaneously,
    - then select "Start Task Manager" option (or press Alt and T keys on your keyboard),
    - when Windows Task Manager window appears, click Processes tab,
    - then click "Show processes from all users" button and confirm your choice;
    - when Windows Task Manager restarts, click on CPU column header twice to sort processes by CPU usage.
    You can also resize Task Manager window and widen Description column to see processes descriptions.

Do not kill any process unless you are absolutely sure what you are doing!

I would recommend to download and run AutoRuns for Windows v9.02

Unzip or extract AUTORUNS.EXE to your hard drive, right-click it and from pop-up menu select "Run as Administrator". When Autoruns starts, click Logon tab and uncheck all unwanted programs which start automatically at logon.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

It could be the indexing service updating the index of files for your system.

The following links show how to change what is indexed. My personal preference is to only index the start menu, but others find the indexing very useful and index far more of their system.
    Adding Indexing Locations in Windows Vista
    Vista Indexing and Search

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

See Information Transmogrification: Windows Vista's Constant HD Activity Craziness for more information on Vista's background processes.

Joe
    Joe