Super Moderator
    Thanks

Export to TXT failure (XP SP3)

I just encountered a problem in exporting a query to a TXT file. And it's happening on multiple client PCs as well as the server that I remote into. When you make that choice, the query runs but aside from the prompt to choose the character encoding, which we leave as Windows (the default), you no longer get a choice of delimited text - it simply pumps it out as fixed width text. The complication is that since this is a large file, we now get an error that says we've done something too large for the clipboard to handle, and we only get part of the file. Has anyone else seen this behavior?
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Export to TXT failure (XP SP3)

I tested it, but I still get the traditional dialog - in step 1 you choose between fixed width and delimited, and in step 2 you specify the delimiter etc. I've tested with a small query and a medium-sized one that outputs a few thousand records; I don't have really big ones to test on at the moment.
    I'm using Access 2002 SP3.

I don't see any reports of the problem in the newsgroups either...

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans ... I'm using ACC 2003, and I want to build an EXPORT specification for an ascii delinited file format (just tab delimited) ; two questions .. how do I get my arms around the "default" speciication and edit it... 2) the export "Wizard" doesn't appear in the database, every time I try to export, the windows dialog pops up ... I'm missing something here Wayne

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Wizard should pop up after the Save As... dialog. It contains a button "Advanced" that lets you create and edit import- and export specifications.

Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah ... I use the "advanced" button to access the specifications for an Import ... I can't find the Export ... where do you get to the default EXPORT specification .. It's as if I'm missing some wizards ... I tried remove install on the CP and it swears I have everything. ??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Import and export specifications are basically the same.

Lounger
    Thanks

I know, but when you call an export specification from VBA, you are using a separate set of variables ... why can't I see the export wizard wherein I can go to advanced and build a spec. ???

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if you
    - Select a table or query
    - Select File | Export...
    - Select Text files (*.txt; *.csv; *.tab; *.asc) in the dropdown near the bottom of the dialog.
    - Specify a file name with one of the above extensions.
    - Click Export.