Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Open doc won't open (Office 3003)

In word I go 'file' 'open' select a doc and all works fine. I then repeat this operation and when I go 'open' i get back to the previously used set of docs - all normal so far - but when I then try to browse to a different file to open another doc the 'open' option just won't budge. Eventually I do cntrol/alt/del and -when asked - 'send' a report. I have checked that I have all the latest updates - so now am at a loss to know what to do next - any tips please?
    Ann

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open doc won't open (Office 3003)

Hi Ann, welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Try out Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post> to see if you can find the culprit of this problem.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have no idea what the problem is; but I'm wondering about two things. Can you open the files in Windows Explorer by either double-clicking or right-clicking and "open with"? Is Word actually freezing up and you have to use Ctl Alt Del to get out?
    J. Till

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the delay in responding and thanks for getting involved, folks When I go 'open' the panel appaears and I can choose a doc from 'my docs' - I can then go 'file' 'open' and choose another from 'my docs' or from a sub folder. I can then do 'file' 'open' and choose again - but only from rhe last used sub folder. If I try to use the drop down menu to go back to 'my docs' the computer just does nothing. If I wait and wait and wait it eventually returns to normal and then If I use the drop down menu I can get gack to 'my docs'. Puzzling. I have defragged, cleaned, removed temp files but to no avail. I hope this helps. This is particularly annoying as I am working on a book - so you can imagine what a pest it is.

I did look at the sysamatic approach but I found it too difficult to follow - but I'm willing to be coached through it - or to be fair my husband is!

Ann

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have a stand-alone PC or is it connected to a local area network (LAN)? Switching between folders can be extremely slow if a network drive is not available.

Do you use Norton (or Symantec) Antivirus? If so, you might turn of scanning of Office documents to see if that helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

We have a lap top and a pc - both wirelessly connected to a router. The machinesw are not networked so i would describe the laptop ( where the problem existsts) as a stand alone.
    The laptop is set for three users Ann W - Peter W - and Grandchildren. I have just tried going in to Peter w's area and found that Word behaves perfectly well there - so the difficulty seems to be specific to the Ann W area - does this help.
    Ann

New Lounger
    Thanks

A ps to my earlier reply - No Norton or other such. I have microsoft defender installed and run a freeby version of AVG anti virus
    Ann

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Let's try one of the steps from Phil Rabichow's troubleshooting guide.
    - Close all instances of Word (and of Outlook, if you use Word as e-mail editor in Outlook)
    - Click on the Start button, then select Run...
    - Type <code>winword /a</code>
    - Press Enter or click OK.
    A bare bones version of Word should start, without any customizations.
    See if the problem also occurs in this version, and please report the results here.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - I tried it but the same result. The 'Open' box appears when you click 'new 'but when you try the drop down menu the pc still hangs. If I wait for about a minute the screen flickers and then if I try again it works OK. If I'm impatient and click again too soon the 'open' box then shows the (not responding) brackets in the blue strip at the top.
    Thanks for getting back to me
    Ann

New Lounger
    Thanks

A ps to my last em. I can navigate my way around i 'open' using the 'green arrow' and the 'up one level' option - but it is the drop down menu option that won't work without hanging
    Ann

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, that is useful information. It indicates that the problem is not with Word, but with navigating the folder tree. But then I would expect the problem to occur in other applications as well. Have you checked whether Excel, for example, behaves the same way?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well spotted, Hans. The results are exactly the same in Excel. Any further thoughts?
    Ann

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Try this:
    - Download and install CCleaner (if you don't already have it).
    - Close all other applications.
    - Run CCleaner.
    - Tick all check boxes in the Windows and Applications tabs (in the Cleaner section)
    - Click "Run Cleaner".
    - Activate the Registry section.
    - Tick all check boxes.
    - Click "Scan for Issues".
    - When the scan is complete, click "Fix selected issues".
    - Click Yes to the prompt to backup, then click Save.
    - Click "Fix All Selected Issues" and confirm.
    Close CCleaner when done.

Does this help?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - but , sad to report - no change after doing all that. There was an issue - something about a dll file left behind after removing an application - but i ran the fix all issues - still no joy. Sorry. Any further thoughts?
    Ann

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm running out of ideas.
    Since the problem occurs only for your user, not for the others on the same laptop, I'd create a new user (Ann2 or something like that). If the problem doesn't occur for this user, transfer your documents from the old user to the new one, and log in as the new user from now on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast