Lounger
    Thanks

How do add-ins differ from VBA macros (Any)

I have been writing VBA macros for a few years and getting tons of help from Woody's Lounge entries. I have heard a little about add-ins as an alternative to macros but not enough to understand them.

I am hoping they will solve a minor annoyance I have, that being when I have run a macro or been in the visual basic editor in Excel, Outlook, Access, etc. and close the editor but keep the workbook (or whatever) open, I find that the VB editor re-opens on its own if the screensaver has come up. Usually I close the whole application to avoid this, but I have an Outlook macro that autoruns when Outlook is opened (copies the text of movie listings for my local theatre from their website into an Outlook Note so it is always available on my handheld). Closing the application won't help here because the macro will be re-run on next open and I keep Outlook open all the time.

Soooo, what are add-ins, can I create my own, and is there any likelihood that it will make this problem go away, or even get rid of the macro warning that comes up?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How do add-ins differ from VBA macros (Any)

Add-ins are not an alternative to VBA code, they are alternative containers for VBA code. An add-in that has been installed/activated will be loaded automatically when the application is loaded, and VBA code in the add-in will be available to all documents.

In Microsoft Word, an add-in is just a template (.dot) stored in Word's startup folder (by default Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftWordStartup).
    In Excel, you can save a workbook as an add-in in the Save As dialog. An Excel add-in has extension .xla. The default location is Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftAddins
    In PowerPoint, you can save a presentation as an add-in in the Save As dialog. A PowerPoint add-in has extension .ppa. The default location is the same as for Excel.

There is also another type of add-in called a COM add-in. You can create them using a compiler such as C++, you can't create then in the application itself the way you can do with the add-ins mentioned above.
    I think that's the only type of add-in you can use with Outlook. So I fear they will not help you...

Thanks

I get the VBE re-opening the way you describe only if I have opened the VBE during that session. It should not open if you ran a macro using the Macros dialog.

By the way, if you don't mind keeping the VBE minimized after opening it, then it will stay minimized when you return from screen saver, rather than opening as the front-most window.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, don't have the compilers, so I guess I am stuck where I am. Hope MS fixes the defect that causes the editor to keep reopening.

Stu