5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word file too large (2003 SP2)

Good morning

I am trying to open a word document but I keep getting the error message that the file is too large (32mb) has anybody encountered this and is there a way of opening the document to split it or reduce it in size so that I can edit it.

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word file too large (2003 SP2)

That's strange - I have some Word documents that are over 400 MB in size and they open without problems (although repaginating the more than 12,000 pages takes a long time).
    Can you open it as follows?
    - Close all other applications.
    - Start Word.
    - Select File | Open...
    - Select the problem document.
    - Click the little dropdown arrow on the right hand side of the Open button.
    - Select Open and Repair from the dropdown list.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.PNG (8.0 KB, 0 views)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans

That unfortunately did not work, I too have files larger than this but have never seen this problem before, I guess the file must have become corrupted

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The documents that I mentioned contain lots of pictures. According to Operating parameter limitations and specifications in Word
    <hr>The maximum file size is limited to 32 MB for the total document text only and does not include graphics, regardless of how the graphics image is inserted (Link to file, Save with document, or Wrapping style) into the document. Therefore, if the file contains graphics, the maximum file size can be larger than 32 MB.<hr>
    So if your document contains more than 32 MB of text, it can't be opened. But I wonder how it can have become so large.
    You might also try the "Recover text from any file" option in the File | Open dialog. However, if it works, you'll lose all formatting.
    • File Type: png x.png (3.4 KB, 0 views)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans

Thanks again for unearthing this information, but it does the same even using that method, it is only 42 pages of text beleive it or not with very little formatting so something crazy has happened over the weekend. I sent myself home a PDF copy last week which will help me to easily recover 95% of it so I will do that tomorrow

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

One last thing you could try is the method described in the section "Attempt To Recover A Document That Will No Longer Open, By Linking A Good File With A Blank Document And Then Changing The Link Source To The Damaged Document" in Document Corruption.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the link Hans

This file must just have gone 'rouge' on me, none of that worked, I followed all of the instructions for linking the file and have downloaded a copy of the program mentioned there 'Cross Fingers' but it takes 24 hours for a pin code, hopefully as a last result I can recover from the PDF

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Thanks

Maybe someone you know has installed WordPerfect or OpenOffice and can convert your big document into two separate ones using their Word filters. Certainly seems easier to start with that than with a PDF, even with the best converter.