New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB89213 (Windows XP)

Hi, I've just switched off Auto Update for Windows XP after finding a lot of spyware and adware after their last update came in a week or so ago.

I went to manual update, and MS came up with this download required to be downloaded. I thought this to be strange, because why wasn't it downloaded in the normal auto updates?

Any answer to my concerns or are my concerns not necessary?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB89213 (Windows XP)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Microsoft releases a new version of their Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool from time to time (presumably to thwart hackers). You won't be able to install all updates if you don't install the WGA Validation Tool, so I'd go ahead.

(I don't think automatic updates by Microsoft install spyware and adware, unless you consider the WGA tool to be spyware, as some people do)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

Thanks for that.

Strange, but after two auto updates, and using my new upgraded virus programme which also does adware and malware scans, there were 96 detections on one scan a month ago, and then soon after the MS update came in I did a scan and there were 56 detections. I use PC Security Shield Pro 2008. So now I am wary because of the time the MS updates take to download and install and some problems that I have soon after updates. I have the Vista for dummies, which the author advises, and it appears that he believes that MS put such ware applications onto your computer.

And as I said, I thought it was strange that this patch hadn't already been download through the auto updates.

Anyway, thanks again, and I will download it accordingly.

Regards
    Aussie

Thanks

Hi Aussie,
    I have to agree with Hans about MS auto update putting spyware or malware on your system. There has to be some other avenue of entry besides Update.

I don't have Auto Update enabled either but I DO regular update checks, particularly after Update Tuesday for MS.

BTW, Vista for Dummies really shouldn't be very applicable to you if you have Win XP installed.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

G'day Bob,

Actually, I have a new Notebook which has Vista on, and I haven't installed it onto internet. I am still familiarising myself with Vista and MS Office, which is very different to Xp and Office 2000.

I have been concerned for a long time about the auto updates, because they take so long to download, and other problems begin to raise their ugly heads. I have a lot of "not responding actions", and annoying "hanging" when closing down some files, particularly if I am too quick with the mouse, and double click in error.

But, I twigged after each download my new upgrade virus programme picked up stacks of changes to MS files.

Anyway, I will download the Validating Tool. Thanks again, and take care.
    George

Thanks

George,

>>>>>>picked up stacks of changes to MS files.

That's exactly the thing you WOULD suspect to see when MS installs an Update. Changes to their own files.

I would look around for an option to turn off monitor "changes to system files".
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!