Star Lounger

Move from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 (2003-2007)

I need some reassurance on the correct procedures to accomplish this:

I have both Office 2003 and Office 2007 running on my laptop using Win XP using a POP account. However, when I installed Office 2007 last year, I chose not to install Outlook 2007. It was my understandint that you can't have both Outlook versions installed.

I am now wanting to uninstall Outlook 2003 and install Outlook 2007.

However, I want to make sure I still have access to my current Outlook.pst file when the new version is installed. Do I need to make a backup copy of the .pst file or will it remain in the current default location when I uninstall Outlook 2003? What happens with the installation of Outlook 2007 and the .pst file? Does the new installation create a new .pst file or will it automatically recognize the "old" .pst?

If I need to make a back up, what is the "safe" method? I have read that using the export procedure is not the best. I have read that copying the .pst file to another location and reconnecting to this old Outlook data will work. I do have the MS article "Reconnect your old Outlook data file" but it assumes the backup has already been made.

By the way, I have 2 personal folders displaying the in the navigation pane which are identical; they point to the same Outlook.pst file. Would like to get rid of this duplicate display but not sure how to do it. Help on this too? Don't want the same problem after installing Outlook 2007.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger

Re: Move from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2007 (2003-2007)

Installing Outlook 2007 won't disturb your .pst file, but as always when applying a major change to your PC, it won't hurt to make a backup by making a copy of the .pst file to another location (if possible to another hard disk, or to a USB drive or CD/DVD).

I would create a new mail profile to get rid of the double display of the .pst file. You can do this in the Mail control panel.