Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

Non deleting replicas (SP3)

I have a design master Db which has 2 replicas. But in the design master, the dialog that comes up when selecting the menu item Tools | Replication | Synchronize now…, shows 5 members of the replica set not 3. Usually after trying to synchronize the design master with a non-existent replica, the non-existent replica is deleted from the set next time the design master is opened. I have tried this several times but the non-existent replicas aren’t deleted. How do I get rid of them?
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Non deleting replicas (SP3)

Check the folder of the nonexistent replicas. Does this folder still exist? If not, you will have to re-create the folder temporarily, then synchronize. This should remove the nonexistent replicas from the set. You can then delete the folder again.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. However I don't think so. One of the incorrect references is PETESLAPTOPAccessInsurancMainData.mdb, which I don't think can be created as no drive is shown. The reference should be PETESLAPTOPCAccessInsurancMainData.mdb
    Regards,
    Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid I don't know a solution then. Sorry. Hopefully someone who has more experience with replication will have a suggestion.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans is correct (as usual!). The *folder* for the replica must exist, but the *file* must be non-existent before Access will remove the dead replica. In your case, you must attempt to synchronize with PETESLAPTOPAccessInsurancMainData.mdb, which means that you must have a computer named PETESLAPTOP with a Share named Access, containing a folder named Insuranc. There should *not* be a file within that folder when you attempt to synchronize with it.

You may have been confused by the difference between UNC file names and Drive: filenames.

HTH
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Jack.
    I tried that; I shared the folder named 'Access' on PETESLAPTOP, then renamed the replica on that computer and also moved it to another folder. When I tried to Synchronize with that non-existent replica from the design master, Access said that the replica had been deleted from the replica set. But when I closed and opened the design master again, there was the non-existent replica listed in all it's glory. I can't get rid of the darn thing!
    10 minutes later, I rechecked and the replica has gone. IT WORKS, THANKS
    Regards,
    Peter

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Glad to help!
    You said that you moved the replica to another folder. I hope that you NEVER use that replica again -- especially if you sync it with another member of the replica set. Moving a replica will cause Jet to issue it with a new (internal) ReplicaID. For all intents and purposes, it is a NEW replica and its previous location becomes a dead (unreachable!) replica.

See http://www.dfenton.com/DFA/Replication/ind...d_replica.3F.22
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oh boy, thank you for that info - could have been disastrous. I will delete it an create another replica.
    Thanks Jack.
    Regards,
    Peter

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jack.
    I tried removing the 2nd non-existing replica the same way. 'TOWERAccessInsurancMainData.mdb'. I created the share and indeed the folder 'Access' is shown as a share in 'My Network Places' on the design master computer. When I try to synch with that non-existing replica, Access can't find it (cause the replica has been deleted), and reports that next time the design master opens the replica will be deleted from the set. No way, I have tried several times and the darn thing is still listed as part of the replica set. Any idea what I can do?

20 minutes later. I found out that the folder 'Access' is write protected and no matter how many times I un-write protect it, it stays protected, even though I am logged on as an administrator. I will put a post in the Widows section of the lounge to see if anyone can show me how to un-write protect that folder.
    Regards,
    Peter

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I doubt that the write-protected will influence whether or not the deletion works properly. Yes, it should be corrected, but it probably won't influence the results.

One of the hidden system tables created when you replicate a database is called something like "MSysReplicas". It lists all the replicas in the set. I would bet that it shows *many* copies of your dead replica, especially if you have been using bad habits... :-( My understanding (and I stand to be corrected) is that each time you do a sync with a non-existent replica, it will delete one record from the MSysReplicas. My advice would be to keep deleting those phantom dead replicas until they all disappear from MSysReplicas.

Other than that... I hope someone else can kick in. There is an active Usenet newsgroup about replication. You can access it via Google Groups; look for microsoft.public.access.replication.
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BTW - before I learned about dead replicas, I created a replica set with dozens of dead ones. Never did delete them all; I eventually unreplicated the database and created the replica set again from scratch. Big job...
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have been watching this post with great interest as I have this very problem myself. I tried finding the MSysReplicas and was only successful in doing so when I took a copy of my design master (so it could experiment) and placed it on my desktop. However when I tried to delete the replicas from this table they wouldnt go. When I tried to show system files on the genuine design master the tables will not show at all.

So I will be interested to follow this post and see if anyone comes up with a result.

Kerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It is expected that you cannot delete items manually from the system tables. Only the database engine itself can do that. Attempting to sync with a non-existant replica in an existing folder is the only way to delete the dead replicas.

As for your inability to view the system tables in your Design Master -- I can't explain that. Did you enable the viewing of both System and Hidden objects in the Tools > Options > View menu?
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I think that I am stuck with my strays then, because the actual server that these old replicas were on has been replaced by another, so there is no chance of getting the path to the folder back again.

Never mind - its not a life threatenins situation. I can live with it.

Kind Regards

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps you have a computer kicking around that you can rename with the name of your old server. Share a folder and give it a share name to match the old share name. Create the appropriate folder structure and attempt to sync with the dead replica in that folder.

Or.... as you said, just live with it.
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast