3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Numbering using 'live' links (Word 2002 SP3)

I often write documents with numbered points and refer to these points elsewhere in the document. When one or more of these points are deleted, Word automatically re-numbers the remaining points (as it should), but my references now have to be manually edited to point to the correct new numbers.

For example, if my numbered list is 1 - 10 and I refer to point number 5 elsewhere in the document, if I delete point 2, the original point 5 now becomes point 4, so my reference needs to also change to 4 instead of 5.

Currently I am having to edit this manually, which is tedious, time consuming and prone to error. Is there any way of automating this process, by putting a 'live' link to the number, which changes when Word re-numbers the document?

I would be grateful for any assistance.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Numbering using 'live' links (Word 2002 SP3)

You can use Insert | Reference | Cross Reference... to create a reference to a numbered item.
    When you insert or delete items in the numbered list, the cross reference will not be updated immediately, but it will be when you print or print preview the document, or when you select the cross reference and press F9 to update fields.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Numbering using 'live' links (Word 2002 SP3)

Thank you Hans for the prompt response - it works like a charm.

You are great (as usual).