New Lounger
    Thanks

advertisment (windows vsta home premium)

Guess I miss understood*** " SPAM "** I'm sick & tired of all of this advertisment's that keep poping up on my YAHOO PAGE !!!!!!!!!!!! Is there ANYTHING I can do to KILL IT ?

Thanks

Re: advertisment (windows vsta home premium)

If the ads are email messages, you need to use the mail program's anti-spam tools.

If you are referring to images that appear around your message, there are different add-ons for different browsers to reduce and/or screen out that "side" advertising. What browser do you use?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

If you mean the ads that you see when you login to e-mail (or when you look at an individual e-mail) unfortunately that is the price you pay for free e-mail. Every free e-mail service has ads to support the cost of the service. I do not know of any way to stop those from appearing.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

jscher; Browser this, File that , I guess I'm in over my head , & it's not like I'm stupid , all though some times I wonder? Keeping in mind I've already bought WINDOWS FOR DUMMIES 9 IN 1 . But the more I read the more I'm lost ! All though I did find my spam button for my E mail & the spam has stopped , on my E mail , guess I'll just have to live with the pop ups adds on my yahoo page. FYI Because of my Handicap & One fingre typing , it has taken me 48 mins to type & send this message to you all ! Thanks for your HELP

Thanks

The browser is the program that displays web pages. Usually the title bar of the window will tell you which one you are using. For example, "Microsoft Internet Explorer" -- usually abbreviated IE in discussion here -- or "Mozilla Firefox" -- usually abbreviated Fx.

But you don't need to reply, considering how long it takes. Instead, you might consider some speech-to-text or voice-control software as a better method of typing and controlling your computer. Maybe the place that sold you your PC can assist with that.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It's OK , I don't mind , if you could see the nothing I was doing before I got this P/C . Day after day. This is my life saver , & in many ways my only window to the world . Thank you for your help .

New Lounger
    Thanks

jscher 2000 my browser is MICROSOFT INTERNET EXPLORER this I found out after staying up last night with my noise in "WINDOW VISTA for DUMMIES " So now that I have got my brower ID what do I do about this pop up's ?

Thanks

If the pop-ups open in a new window, rather than appearing in the page, you can set Microsoft's built-in pop-up blocker to stop them. Actually, it should do that already. You should hardly get any unwanted/unexpected windows opening.

If the advertisements appear in the page, you would need to go looking for trustworthy third party software to filter the page contents. I mostly use Firefox, so I'm not familiar with add-ons for Internet Explorer.

One thing you can do to reduce the most annoying ads is to put the names of various advertising servers on your Restricted Sites list in IE. This blocks them from running scripts or the Flash player. My list is out of date because, as noted above, I hardly use IE at all any more.

Some people go to the extreme of adding a long list of known advertising servers to their hosts file. The hosts file is a mapping of server names to addresses. Windows checks the hosts file first before checking on the internet for the current address information. These added entries divert any requests to those servers from their actual location to your own computer (where, of course, nothing loads).

Depending on your sensitivity to distraction, you can choose the method that works best for you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Joe

Thanks

A custom Hosts file that is updated about once a month is available here...
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    Their explanation on the website leave something to be desired but it does knock out
    a bunch of advertising leaving blank areas. (I use FireFox)
    Also, strictly as a test <g>, I found it prevents access to a number of questionable "adult" websites.
    Download it, unzip it and send it to...
    C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetc (Windows XP)

Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA
    http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware
    (Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming)