3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table Styles (Word 2003)

Hi all. I have a few questions about Word's use of styles with tables.

First, is "Table Normal" actually a style, or is it a LACK of a style? It doesn't show up in the "Styles and Formatting" pane when I select Show: All Styles, but it DOES show up as a choice if I want to assign a keyboard shortcut to styles.

Second, is there a table-format equivalent to the Reset command, e.g. CTRL+Q for paragraph formatting or CTRL+spacebar for character formatting? I can easily and quickly select the "no borders" option if I want to remove borders from my table, but would that be the table equivalent of direct formatting?

Nothing like a little inconsistency to steepen the learning curve.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table Styles (Word 2003)

"Table Normal" is a bit like "Default Paragraph Font". It is not a "physical" style in the sense that it doesn't have any characteristics by itself, it just strips away any specific table formatting.

In my opinion, table styles are a waste of time. Also see Microsoft Word Help FAQ. Why I don't use Table Styles in Word 2002 and 2003.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, thanks once again, and I agree 100 percent. That is why I was hoping there was some quick and dirty (i.e. "built-in") way to strip these "styles" from tables.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Star Lounger
    Thanks

There's a long thread on table style issues a little ways back & a macro given in Post 615,412 <!post=post 615412,615412>post 615412<!/post> that has been a wonderful tool for my group. We were having so many problems with tables. You should try the macro; it's really a big help.