4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

VSTO as a consulting service (any/any)

I'm learning to use .NET for use in contracting, and I'm interested in making a specialty of developing Office solutions. I would like to hear about the experience of others who have done this.

Here are some questions that are on my mind:

What language is in demand for this type of work: VB, C#, or don't-care-as-long-as-the-job-gets-done?

Which Office application(s) account for the bulk of the demand?

What are good places to look for clients? Are there any contracting brokers who know how to place developers who have this skill?

Some context: I have a couple of decades of experience as a contractor, but I have been away from contracting for about 10 years, and away from programming for about six years. Back before .NET was introduced I did a great deal of application development using Visual C++, and also a great deal using VBA for Word. I don't expect to have difficulty learning to develop solutions for Microsoft Word in either VB or C#; mostly I'll be learning new ways of doing things I have already done. For the other Office applications I will have to learn new object models, which will probably take more work.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: VSTO as a consulting service (any/any)

The common language runtime doesn't care which VS language you use in Visual Studio. If you are working with a team of developers, then you need to be able to use the language they use, although if you can read and write one .Net language, you can read and learn the others without extraordinary effort. The syntax is different though, so you need to match the melieu, which is why job postings tend to specify the VS language skills they're looking for.
    Charlotte

Thanks

Re: VSTO as a consulting service (any/any)

I'd say Excel and Word probably make up the bulk of demand, then probably Outlook, but that may be skewed by the fact that my industry is financial.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel