New Lounger
    Thanks

unwelcome border lines in word document (word 2002 XP office)

Attachment deleted by HansV - its contents were not suitable for a family-friendly forum

Please help. We have a client who is using Vista. They have Microsoft office XP install on the PC (yes I know.....). However, the word document functions correctly, the laptop works correctly. She pressed three keys together and opened a can of worms

Windows key, shift and number 8 (not f8)

This produces a row of asterix's. When she carriage returned, she created black dotted border lines in here document. Now she and I cannot remove them or control them. The only way I have found to resolve the problem was to delete the section of text which includes the border lines. The border lines are spread over 3 or 4 pages.

I have attached a section of the document. If anyone has a clue, or a solution, I would be most grateful.

Regards - Ray
    RES Info-Tech Ltd

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: unwelcome border lines in word document (word 2002 XP office)

If you want to get rid of the borders (they are paragraph borders):
    - Press Ctrl+A to select the entire document, or select the relevant part of the document.
    - Select Format | Borders and Shading.
    - Make sure that the Borders tab is activated.
    - Click None, then OK.

BTW, the document contained material not suitable for viewing in a family-friendly forum, so I removed the attachment.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think the Windows key was really involved.

If "Border lines" is ticked in the AutoFormat As You Type tab of Tools | AutoCorrect Options..., typing three or more consecutive asterisks (Shift+8) in an empty paragraph and pressing Enter will result in two dotted lines as borders.
    (You get various line types by typing three or more consecutive -, _, =, *, ~ or # characters in an empty paragraph and pressing Enter.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Thank you so much. Please accept my apology for content. I had not got that far in reading it. The client is an author and writes pretty explicit stuff. I'll review heavily in future...
    Problem resolved.
    Regards

Ray Snow