3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sporadic mail stuck in Outbox (2007 SP1)

Hi

My boss has a laptop for home configured with a POP account. The POP account is for a website he has, so he has the incoming mail server configured with his website's address (eg, mail.mywebsite.com) and the SMTP information set with his ISP's details (ie, mail.talktalk.net). His issue is that when he sends email, it will sporadically stay in the Outbox and will not send, even if he performs a manual Send and Receive. I have checked all the settings on the account to ensure that SPA isn't set; log-on to Incoming Server before sending, etc, and all the settings seem correct.

Has anyone else come across this sporadic Outbox problem with Outlook 2007. Any suggestions on what to do. I've run the Office Diagnostics, and no issues were found. Is it worthwhile just uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook, or is that grasping at straws?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thank in advance.

Brian

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Sporadic mail stuck in Outbox (2007 SP1)

Have you checked with the ISP that the settings are correct? Have they had any problems with their SMTP servers? Is there any Outlook send/receive error dialog? Does the e-mail eventually get sent? Can he use a browser at the time the e-mail is having difficulties?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

He and his wife use the same ISP (they have 2 PCs and 1 Laptop in the house), so when it doesn't work, he tests it immediately on their other PC, and it *does* work. The problem seems unique to just the one computer. The settings are correct (I have checked them for him--in fact, they were copied from the ISP's website and pasted into the SMTP box in Outlook), and as most emails do go successfully, the settings must be correct.

It definitely seems to be a sporadic problem with this installation of Outlook.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Is he using a wireless connection?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Occasionally. If it's in his Home Office, it's plugged in all the time, but if he roams with it around the house, it switches to a Wireless connection. I asked him, and he says it doesn't happen only when it's Wireless. Even if it did, shouldn't Outlook resend it as soon as a Connection is established (assuming the connection was lost at some point in a dead-spot in the house)?