Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Open doc won't open (Office 3003)

The list of 'nicknames' is stored in a separate file with extension .nk2, not in the .pst file. It is stored in the folder Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftOutlook, and its name is that of your e-mail profile followed by .nk2. If you transfer it from the folder for your old user to that for your new user, and make sure that the name is correct, Outlook should use your old nicknames again.
    Note: Application Data is a hidden folder, so you must show hidden files and folders in order to see it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks once again , Hans
    I have found two '.nk2 ' files - One is Outlook .nk2 the other is 'Soton.nk2' This makes sense to me as - on the 'old' set up I have a link to Soton Uni so that I can check my emails. Therefore the Outlook nk2 file is almost certainly the one I need. Sorry to be a pest but I know how to transfer folders in Outlook but haven't a clue how to transfer the nk2 files I've found in Explorer. Can you help on this - hopefully I am then up and running and out of your hair!
    Ann
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can simply select the two .nk2 files in your Cocuments and Settings[list=1]Application DataMicrosoftOutlook folder, copy them (Ctrl+C), then navigate to Cocuments and Settings<newusername>Application DataMicrosoftOutlook and paste them there (Ctrl+V). If Windows asks if it's OK to overwrite files, click OK.
    If you have used a different name for the e-mail profile for your new user (the default is Outlook), you will have to rename the Outlook.nk2 file to match the profile name.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans
    I've done the process twice but when I do 'control V' a strange icon appears 'Scrap doc etc etc' - but no 'Outlook.nk2' I tried to copy and paste this to show you - but in the copy and pasted version there is a .nk2 file - Spooky! Or is there an explanation for this?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps the pasted .nk2 file is hidden? I can't explain why a .nk2 file would be pasted as a scrap file.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I went into Outlook Tools and removed the tick from 'hide file extensions on known file tyes' - and then could see two .nk2 files - an outlook.nk2 and a soton.nk2 - but - as I haven't tried to import the soton.nk2 file it must always have been there - as - I assume - the outlook.nk2 file. So forgive me for asking but are these the files I need - I also tried again the drop down feature in the address box in a new email but no joy. Do you have any further thoughts, Hans
    Ann

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The .nk2 file contains the list of names used to "autocomplete" an e-mail address when you start typing. When you created a new user, Outlook created new but empty .nk2 files for the new user, to be filled gradually as you send and receive e-mails. If you want to use the old .nk2 file(s) you must copy the ones from your old user to the new one, replacing the empty new .nk2 files (the new .nk2 files should be a lot smaller than the old ones).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans, I understand what you are saying about what the files hold.

I have tried again to copy over the files but 'no-can-do' - but a different error message this time. However - in looking around - I notice that the Outlook.nk2 file in the 'old user' is 525 kb - and so is the Outlook .nk2 file in the new user. I would have expected the 'old user' to be a bigger file than the 'new user' given that I've been unsuccessful in transferring the old file over. The same applies to the Soton.nk2 files (10 kb) - they are the same size in both user accounts - but I have never even tried to move the Soton.nk2 file from 'old' to 'new' because I no longer need the info - so how does this file appear in 'new user' ? Can you comment on this?
    Ann

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I'm out of ideas. I don't think it's possible to do anything more from a distance. You should get a knowledgeable person to look at your laptop directly.

Thanks

I think you successfully copied the files over, and that's why the files are there and have the same size. Question is, does Outlook read them now?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to you both for trying.
    A couple of points. There is no way that I transferred the Soton.nk2 file - I have been meticulous in leaving it well alone. No, the 'new user' doesn't have the drop down working.

Today I ceated a 'third user' then - before doing anything - went into the files and there already are Outlook.nk2 and Soton.nk2 and with the same file sizes as in the 'old user' - To me this doesn't fit with the previous logic. The file I need to transfer must surely be bigger than any new (empty) file that Outlook creates. And as I have done nothing to 'third user' then surely the files must be empty files waiting for data - And how does Outlook create a Soton file without being asked - presumably because the pc can see that in the laptop there is a program that can enable the Soton Uni access?
    I'm sending this as constructive info in the hope that it will re kindle your desire not to be beaten by this problem - I'm working in the hope that you/we are a click or two away from a success
    Thanks for getting involved so far. The laptop is a very well behaved machine, by the way.
    Ann
    ps All the data transfers that I did with the original problem were done Outlook to Outlook - and they worked fine. Why is this tranfer of data not possible to do Outlook to Outlook?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Open doc won't open (Office 3003)

This thread was split off from the thread starting at <post:=690,941>post 690,941</post:> in the Word forum since it's about Outlook from this point on - HansV

Many thanks Hans
    I've gone for the 'new user' option and all is well. I also had to transfer my emails over to the new user and the address book etc - and this raises another issue.

I use MS Outlook for my emails. My old emails and address book have exported fine. The issue is this: in Outlook when you start a new email and type in the first letter of the address then - all the addresses with that satert letter that you have previously used pop up in the drop down menu and you can choose the one you want. This of course doesn't happen in the 'new user' version because they've not yet been used there. But what I have discovered is that, on checking in the 'old user', I find that the drop down panel contains many addresses that are not in 'contacts' or 'address book' ( hence they didn't export) - because my normal practice has been to use the drop down option - easier and quicker. Do you know where this info is actually stored and is there a way that I can export it to my 'contacts' or 'address book' in the 'new user' area.
    I appreciate this should be in a new MSO thread but it is a logical follow on. If you need to move it - so be it - but do you have any suggesetions as to how to get over this one.

Thanks again for your help with the original problem
    Ann

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

All e-mails, contacts, appointments, tasks and notes are stored in your .pst file, so if you transfer the .pst file, you automatically transfer all of those items. The nickname list used to autocomplete e-mail addresses is stored in a separate file with extension .nk2, so it is *not* transferred with the .pst file.

I'm afraid I have no idea 1) why the .nk2 files are automatically copied to a new user, and 2) why they don't work (if the files are present in the correct location, I'd expect Outlook to use them - that's how it has always worked for me).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans and Co
    A final throw of the dice - have you time to open up a third user on your machine - then see if the .nk2 files transfer automatically - and if they do - does the drop down nickname facility work? Also are the file sizes the same - old to new?
    I appreciate the time you have spent on this already.
    The thing I can't understand is why most data can be import/exported Oulook old to Outlook new but the nickname list has to cut and pasted using Explorer. I would have expected the data to be in a folder (hidden?) in Outlook - but I'm a 'user' not a technical person.
    Thanks again for your help so far
    Ann

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've already explained the difference between items such as e-mails and appointments on the one hand, and the nickname list on the other hand.

I am quite sure that the .nk2 file(s) are *not* copied automatically on my PC. The PC I'm currently working on has 7 users defined, each with a differently named .nk2 file.

I really think it would be best if you could find someone to sit down at your PC and look at it directly. Perhaps the solution is quite simple, but I don't think we'll be able to get to the bottom of this from a distance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast