3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to use Vista UAC in 'quiet mode' (vista home premium)

I'm fairly new to Vista finding my way round gradually while still prefering my XP machine. The UAC warning is just one of the annoyances I have with Vista (though do see the importance of it and have no intention of disabaling it!) While surfing around found this article http://tech.blorge.com/Structure: /2008/02/01/how-to-use-vista-uac-in-quiet-mode/ regrding using TweakUAC and would be interested on the lounge experts views on this.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: How to use Vista UAC in 'quiet mode' (vista home premium)

I my opinion, why would one want to do this, as it would allow a program to slip through the protection.

Now that I have been using Vista for over a year, I do not really have a problem with UAC.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The way I read it ... It leaves the primary protection features of UAC in place, programs will not be allowed to operate with admin privileges, the memory vitalization protection is left enabled (an excellent defense against malware and viruses) and yes, the UAC notifications are turned off. ...but then again how would you know what's going on? so probably best to leave things as intended. I am getting used to UAC and just accept that it means another mouse click in the sequence of whatever I'm doing.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

IMO, it depends on how paranoid you are. I'm very careful about what gets downloaded and installed so I'm very sure about normal activities being OK. I used TweakUAC some time ago and like it better that I've got fewer mouse clicks to do trivial things. I still need to confirm those actions which require admin priviliges which is fine. I'm pretty sure Microsoft is tweaking some of the UAC prompts with Vista SP-1. That means I'll probably set UAC back to 'factory setting' and see what happens.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just curious about this, but from the replies (thanks) I'm leaving things as they are and getting used to seeing the UAC pop up now.