New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 Junk Mail stopped working (2003 (11.8169.8172) SP3)

I've been using Outlook 2003 on my home PC since just after release and feel I've got to know it quite well. It was installed as one of the Office 2003 Professional set. Recently it seems that the Junk EMail filter system has just stopped working. There are two events that might be behind this.

1) Last year I installed McAfee Internet Security and configured its Junk Mail system. I then had the feeling that it and Outlook were fighting for junk mail and eventually I turned the McAfee Junk-mail bit off. I then had the impression that Outlook 2003 had returned to normal handling of Junk E-Mail, just as you would want it to. (I think this point is irrelevant to the problem but I include it for completeness).

2) Over Christmas, I installed Office 2007 Student Edition - that's Word, Excel and other bits I don't use. I take responsibility for a poor installation method and after a week of problems I deinstalled ALL office software. I then reinstalled Office 2000 (for Photo-Draw and Photo-Editor) in a Program FilesOffice 2000 folder, all of Office 2003 Professional in a Program FilesOffice 2003 folder and Office 2007 Student in a Program FilesOffice 2007 folder. I then found I had to reinstall Photo-Editor because I had forgotten that the 2003 install procedure removes it. So now I have have what appears to be a stable installation with all the programs I want to use, working as I want them ... EXCEPT ...

After a few days I started to become aware that mails which should have gone into the Junk Mail folder were being left in the Inbox. After a few more days of attempting to correct the problem, I decided a fresh start was needed and I wiped my safe senders and blocked senders lists. I then reconfigured Junk-EMail filter for "No Automatic Filtering - mail from blocked senders is still moved to the Junk EMail folder"; I then went though my Inbox and sent selected mails to the junk mail folder and went back into the options and converted the address blocks to domain blocks. At the same time I added a few domains to the Safe Sender list.

In spite of this no mail gets moved to the Junk EMail folder.

Reviewing postings here in the Lounge I can't see anything that is a good fit with my problem but there was a chain on similar happenings in Outlook 2007. "Safe Sender Failure" starting with post 664286.

I've been wondering if I've been having some sort of clash between 2003 and 2007, but as I don't have Outlook 2007, I would be surprised to find a clash at the Junk Mail level.

Has anyone got any thoughts or suggestions? Or even a "How to turn off Junk Mail filtering in O2003" so that I could turn my McAfee filtering back on. But this would be a last resort action.

Thanks,

Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Outlook 2003 Junk Mail stopped working (2003 (11.8169.8172) SP3)

It most likely will not hurt to have both the McAfee & Microsoft filters active. Most third party filters run as a proxy and are not integrated into Outlook. So, having multiple junk mail filters does not present the same issues as having multiple anti-virus products running.

Did you apply the latest service packs and fixes to each suite?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ref. running both filters - it seemed earlier that McAfee would put a mail in its Spamfolder and Outlook would come along and move it to the Junk-Mail folder. Or the other way round, depending on which got working first when new mail came in. It was fairly chaotic.

Ah yes - service packs - at the big reinstallation I did update everything fully and than meant I got O2003 SP3. And that is another suspect.

Thanks for thinking along with me on this. If I don't come up with anything soon, I'm going to try a repair install on Outlook 2003 only. See if that does anything positive.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

It could be that McAfee is installed as an Outlook add-in which would account for the behavior you've observed. In that case I agree with disabling the Outlook filter. If you are not using McAfee or have it disabled I'm not sure why your spam filter settings are not working. Do you have any other rules setup that could possibly have moved the e-mail before the filter processes it? I've got several PCs running Office 2003 SP-3 at work and no one has complained about the spam filter not working correctly. So, I doubt that is it but feel free to do a repair install anyway. Who knows, it may do some good.

Joe
    Joe