Lounger
    Thanks

Drive Letter Change on Backup Drive (Win XP Sp2)

I don't know whether this is a Windows problem or a Norton Ghost problem, but although the drive letter is now E (it changes every time I attach my mp3 player by USB cable), 100's of gigabites of space is unavailable on Ghost, except in the Recovery mode) because Ghost insists it's on the F (unavailable) drive. I went into XP to change the drive letter but found all files on the external drive are shown as being on the E drive. What's going on, and how do I fix it? Does anyone know? I want to delete files so I can continue to back up. There are 300GB of space on this drive, but I can access now only about 30GB.

Outside of attaching my mp3 player and trying to make my external drive an F drive again, is there anything else I can do?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Drive Letter Change on Backup Drive (Win XP Sp

I'm not sure if this is how you tried, but can you open the disk management app, i.e. Start, Run, <big>diskmgmt.msc</big> and try to change the drive letter there? I don't use Ghost so I don't know what hokey stuff it may do to Windows. My drive letters don't change on me, in spite of removing and adding USB devices occasionally. If you can (see attachment) get there this way, you may have to do some temporary letter assignment to "free up" the one you need.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Drive Letter Change on Backup Drive (Win XP Sp

Thanks for your quick reply. I did, in fact, try to change it through disk management, but there all external drive files already appeared on the E drive, but this morning, I finally just plugged in my camera first (which then became the E drive and THEN plugged in the external hard drive (which became the F drive). Now Ghost is happily consolidating and eliminating excess files on that F drive, which it can now access. I'm not sure whether when it's finished I will still have some files--and space--on the F drive and some on the E. If so, I'll check disk management again to see if that will help put them all on one letter.