New Lounger
    Thanks

Restarting Vista (Home Premium)

My brother restarts Vista three or four times a day for no other reasons that to "free up memory" and to "clear things up???" and other reasons that I've forgotten. I have told him that unless he has a compelling reason to restart, such as a frozen program or very slow performance, arbitrarily restarting the computer so many times a day may well cause undue wear and tear on his hard drive. What do you knowledgeable folks think?
    Best regards,

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Restarting Vista (Home Premium)

I think he should only restart when the system is very slooooooooowwwww.
    Not just when a program freezes up.
    A possible solution is Task Manager. Even though i'm on XP, this will also work for Vista.
    He would have to hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete and then do what my picture that I provided says.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Restarting Vista (Home Premium)

Unless there is a severe problem such as the PC being 'frozen' there is no good reason to re-boot like that. With each new version of Windows Microsoft has improved the memory management capabilities of the operating system. With Vista it is quite good. It is counter productive to 'free memory'. Windows frees memory as needed. I'm not sure what 'clear things up' means. It seems like another dubious reason to re-boot a system. If there is a 'frozen' program or a performance issue it is better in the long run to try to diagnose the problem rather than just re-boot. Re-booting may be involved as part of the diagnosis and solution but should be the last step not the first.

Joe
    Joe