Star Lounger
    Thanks

New computers coming (Windows XP SP-2)

After a year's delay our medical center is getting new PCs, still using Windows XP. I have users of wildly varying levels of expertise using computers, working in cities spread out over 100 miles. So I wondered if I could write a batch file that could sit out on our service's drive on the network. Ideally when the user runs it, the batch file would copy the user's desktop, start menu, and internet favorites to new corresponding folders on their personal drive on the network. The coup de grace would be if it could check for an Outlook archive and move it. I haven't written many batch files lately, so I don't know if this is possible. Let's assume that the our service's folder is "Y:** Possible SPAM post - please alert a Moderator (2)**", and each user has his or her own Z: folder, and the user's folder in Documents and Settings is "myfolder".

Start|Run|Y:Pharmacycopystuff.bat
    Copy c:documents and settingsmyfolderstart menu*.* Z:2008start menu
    Copy c:documents and settingsmyfolderdesktop*.* Z:2008desktopdesktop
    Copy c:documents and settingsmyfolderfavorites*.* Z:2008favorites
    [outlook statement left out for now]

If memory serves, you have to use a variable instead of a literal myfolder expression since the user name changes every time, and the batch file will create the new folder when the copy is done. Have I provided enough information to determine if this is possible? As always, I am most grateful for your help.
    Jim Whitt
    Pharmacist
    Temple, Texas

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: New computers coming (Windows XP SP-2)

What are you expecting in copy from the "Desktop", as most of the icons will not work with the new OS unless the programs are on the new machine with the same versions as the old machine?

What OS is on the old machines, since you stated that XP is on the new ones?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: New computers coming (Windows XP SP-2)

Thanks for replying. The train from Migraine City just arrived and I have to go home. Good questions, thanks. We're going from XP to XP, so the OS remains static (the VA hasn't officially passed Vista for our use yet.) The reason for copying the desktop shortcuts is that, again, depending on the user, there are a lot of shortcuts to documents on the network that will stay in the same place. They don't want to recreate 5-20 shortcuts, and I can't blame them. See you tomorrow 8 am CST. Thanks!
    Jim Whitt
    Pharmacist
    Temple, Texas