New Lounger
    Thanks

Using NTBACKUP to backup eSignal etc. (SP2)

Would someone please help me with this.

I must reinstall WIN. XP. That is no problem. However,
    I have a large number of applications in program files
    that would take a week to install and set up again from
    scratch.
    My question is if I backup eSignal, Zone Alarm etc. to
    'Program Files' in NTBACKUP, when I restore them, will
    they function, and with all the settings intact. My reason for
    questioning this is that I don't know if the NTBACKUP includes
    the registry settings that I imagine would be required
    for these applications to function after restoring them.

Thank you for any information you may provide.
    gaijin

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using NTBACKUP to backup eSignal etc. (SP2)

Hello and welcome to The Lounge. First, I must say that I don't use NTBACKUP and would recommend that you find a better program for such important work. It won't take much internet Googling to find out how unreliable most people feel NTBACKUP really is, in addition to clumsiness, etc.

Having said that, I'm afraid you're going to have to re-install your programs if you put on a fresh copy of Windows. To MY knowledge, backing up individual folders, be they program folders or not, will NOT cover all the possible places where settings and controls for that program are stashed, especially the Windows registry. The only way to do that would be to make a complete backup of the entire system and then restore from that - which is not possible if you're doing a fresh install of XP.

PS It appears that you manually inserted "carriage returns" when composing your post. It isn't necessary. The Lounge software and/or your browser will flow the text to fit the size of your window. Have fun...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Why 'must' you reinstall XP from scratch? Is there a problem that you can't resolve? Have you thought of doing an How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

How strange!
    Only yesterday, I ran across a copy of NTbackup, taking up space on one of my hard drives. Hastily deleting it, I wondered how long that dinosaur was there?

Al, is right, in that NTBackup will not avoid having to reinstall any apps that you have been using.

Joe's suggestion about a "Repair" reinstall would seem to be a better way to do it, if you think you have a system problem.
    Tell us more of why you think you need to reinstall XP.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

I would like to thank all of you for the valuable information you provided.
    Over the last 10 years I have always maintained all the computers I 've had in tip-top shape and have never had any other than very minor problems. However,
    after 21/2 years my laptop has developed a mind of its own. I called the maker's support and they were unable to determine the cause or to fix the situation. As Joe suggested, we did do a repair installation. In the end they could only recommend to reinstall XP. When I asked about the easiest way to backup installed programs they mentioned NTBACKUP. But as it was not originally installed in the Home Edition they said I would have to ask Microsoft about it. Called MS, and they wanted $45
    to answer my question. That's when I came to you, and am very glad I did!!!

Again, thank you very much for taking the time to help me with this.
    gaijin