Thanks

Terminal Services vs Remote Desktop (Access All Versions)

I've been researching a variety of old posts on connecting to an Access db remotely and it strikes me that I don't know if Terminal Services and Remote Desktop Connection are the same thing under different names or are they different products.
    What are you having the most success with currently.

TIA
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Terminal Services vs Remote Desktop (Access All Versions)

They're different, Catharine. Terminal Services is something like Citrix, a way to enable multiple users to run an application directly on a network server in a private folder. Remote Desktop is more like PCAnywhere. It allows you to create a connection through a virtual private network across the internet and work directly on the remote workstation as if you were seated at the terminal.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

How about WinConnect?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Catharine,

We use both Terminal Services and Remote Desktop, though mostly the latter, and Charlotte's description is pretty accurate when she compares it to PC Anywhere. Remote Desktop gives you additional features that Terminal Services doesn't provide, and is intended primarily for people who need to administer a system remotely. Windows 2003 Servers provide 2 simultaneous remote sessions and provide the ability to take control of another session - a quite useful feature that we use in doing training and demos. Terminal Services is not available in SBS 2003, only in Standard and Enterprise editions, and you must purchase Client Licenses to use it. From a user perspective, it appears quite similar to Remote Desktop, but it makes it appear that you are connecting to a stand-alone PC unless you have administrative priviledges. Both are derived from technology that Microsoft bought from Citrix as I understand it.

There are also several firms offering a web-based method of connecting to a PC. Two we have used are http://www.gotomypc.com and http://www.logmein.com - my preferrence is the latter, especially if you are trying to connect to a PC on a one-off basis to solve a problem. Their free version gives us enough to be able to get in and see what is happening with a workstation very nicely. Unfortunately, I've never had much success with people trying to use Remote Assistance on WindowsXP or Vista.
    Wendell

Thanks

Re: Terminal Services vs Remote Desktop (Access Al

Thanks guys.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

While on the subject, I recently experienced an Access/Remote Desktop issue. For a long time a user in Florida has been accessing an Access database via Terminal Server and now Remote Desktop. It has always worked and still does work fine for that user.

Another user was recently given a user name and password to access the Remote Desktop, and use the same Access based database. The application opens fine, but when he opens one of the forms, he gets a message that the query can not be found. going into the queries of the database, I am unable to open the query. I can however, copy the SQL and paste the SQL statement in a new query window and the query runs.

there is a second application that he runs, and everytime he runs a report the application quits. It doesn't lock up, it just quits.

Any ideas or other experiences you can share are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Ken

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A couple of possibilities come to mind. Using Remote Access, each user has their own workspace, and their own install information about Access. That means by default they are looking at their own copy of the security file (probably system.mdw). If the second user doesn't have explicit permission to that object for the admin owner in his security file that could cause the problem. I would make sure both are pointing to the same security file, or at least a copy of the same security file. On the second problem, you don't indicate what version of Access is being used, but that behavior did occur occasionally in Access 2000, particularly if the early service releases weren't applied. But we probably need more details to help much with that problem.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell
    Does LogMeIn allow a person sitting at the "controlled" computer to also control the computer, or is it locked? In other words, is LogMeIn an option for me allowing someone to see what is happening on my computer, with me having control of the mouse and keyboard?
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Yes, you can still use the keyboard and mouse when you are the host system. But both of you can move the mouse and type, so it can get rather confusing. Remote Desktop won't let you do that if you are using the Console, but if you and another person remote in, then you can take control of the session if they are willing to let you. In that mode, both of you can also move the mouse and type. One of the subtle differences of LogMeIn is that you and the remote user each have their own mouse pointer, so it can get a bit distracting. On the other hand their free service is great for a one-off need where you need remote access for a short period of time.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We are running citrix with 20+ remotely connected users. I am working with some code now that allows the user to open a folder on the network drive where the application resides. The problem comes from the fact that the access DB is opened on it's own without a desktop session. The code calls for an explorer window to be opened to show the folder contents which, in turn, loads a desktop session. Ideally, I don't want a desktop to be loaded from the server. Does anyone here have experience with Citrix? Maybe there is a configuration that I can change and get this to work. If I could get the explorer window to open in it's own window without the desktop session, that would be ideal.

Thanks,
    Mark