2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE7 Freezes (XP Pro SP2)

today when I tried to open IE7 it comes up but freezes. I have to hit CTR + ALT + DEL and then get rid of it. I can't do anything with it when it shows. I have tried reinstalling it, but that didn't work. Any Ideas about how I can get it working again?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: IE7 Freezes (XP Pro SP2)

Try starting it from Start | Run| iexplore.exe -extoff. That start IE with addons disabled. You'll get a warning message about ActiveX being disabled. If it start OK then you need to use your Internet Options and disable addons one at a time until you figure out which is the culprit. You can also try changing your home page to about:blank to see if there is an issue with your home page.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry that didn't work. It just put that the add-ons had been turned off, but still froze up.

Thanks

To change your home page to about:blank without starting IE first, use the Internet Options control panel (Start > Settings, etc.).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I went into the add-ons and disabled them all. Still would not work. I made the home page blank. It still freezes. Is there a way to completely remove IE7 and then install it fresh to see if that would work?

Administrator
    Thanks

You should be able to uninstall it from the Control Panel | Add/remove Programs.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can remove IE7 through the Add or Remove Programs control panel - it's listed as Windows Internet Explorer 7. If you do so, IE6 will be reinstated automatically. You can then reinstall it from the Microsoft website.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I uninstalled IE7. IE6 was automatically installed in its place. It works OK. I decided to reinstall IE7. Everything went well until I opened it with a blank page. I entered a link. Clicked to go to the link. An error message popped up stating, "This link is unavailable." It froze up. I used Ctr+Alt+Del to get out of it. I again brought it up. Again, I entered a link to another URL. Same error message telling me that this specific link was unavailable and again froze up. I uninstalled it. Am now using IE6 although MS keeps trying to upgrade it to IE7. I'm not sure why one will work but the other will not.

Administrator
    Thanks

What is the URL you are trying to use?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I used the link to our church. The error message stated, "The link to www.campbellstreet.org is not available." Of course it froze up. Got out of it and executed it again. This time I put in the link to our gun range. Again I received the error message, "The link to www.tnsportsfoundation.org is not available." I tried my homepage. Same thing. So, I uninstalled IE7 and am currently using the latest edition of FireFox. I only use IE6 to download specific updates from MS. BTW, I could go to each of these links in FireFox without any trouble. I have gone back and deleted all of the new programs I have installed since I started having this problem. That didn't help either.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Try some quick loading ones such as Google.com, ask.com and etc

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Could your firewall be interfering? IE7 might have had an update that causes it not to be on the approved list or to be treated as suspicious.