Lounger
    Thanks

Set the default proofing language to English UK (

Hi Guys,
    I've recently updated my Office 2003 to 2007 and am having trouble with the setting of the default proofing language. I would like any new document that is created to start with the proofing language set to English UK. At present, no matter what I do, it is always set to English US.
    I have tried setting the Microsoft Office 2007 Language Settings to have English UK as the default, it says it is, but that doesn't seem to do what I want. I have even deleted the English US entry, only to find it somehow reappears when I close and reopen the Language Settings. I have tried editing Normal.dotm to have English UK set as the default proofing language and then saving the file, but when I open a new document, it is again set to English US.
    Can anyone help me to make the setting that will always open a new document with the proofing language set to English UK ?
    Cheers, Davy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Set the default proofing language to English UK (

Word looks at the Regional Options control panel.
    Select Start > Control Panel > Date, Time, Language and Regional Options > Regional and Language Options.
    Activate the Languages tab.
    Click Details...
    Make sure that English (UK) is set as default input language. If it is not available, click Add in the Installed Services section.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Set the default proofing language to English U

Hi Hans,
    Many thanks for the swift reply. That worked a treat! Not very intuitive though I must say. So many options in Word and Office and the solution is in Windows itself !
    Cheers, Davy

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,
    I've discovered a new problem with this solution. I'm using a US keyboard (with IntelliType installed) and when I start a new document in Word when English UK is selected as my default language, I do get the proofing in English UK, I unfortunately get the UK keyboard layout where a number off keys are not where I'd expect them to be. Is there an elegant way out of this predicament so that I continue to have the English UK as my default language, but that the keyboard is mapped to the US layout?
    Cheers, Davy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Return to the dialog where you specified English (UK) as default language (the Text Services and Input Languages dialog).
    Click Add...
    Select English (UK) as input language and US as keyboard layout, then click OK.
    Back in the Text Services and Input Languages dialog, select English (UK) - US as default input language. British English will still be set as default language for spell checking etc., but you'll use the USE keyboard layout.

Lounger
    Thanks

That's fixed it! Thanks Hans!! Cheers, Davy