New Lounger
    Thanks

word 2000 template location problem (Word 2000)

Hi,

Can someone advice me how to change the attached template location for a large volume of Word documents under Word 2000? Microsoft KB 830561 seems to offer some sample marcos that can do the job, however, it appears that it only works with Word 2002/2003 and it doesn't work with subfolders.

My second question is that is there anyway I can modify the search behaviour for word templates, e.g. the sequence, the timeout settings and etc?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: word 2000 template location problem (Word 2000)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

The VBA code in MSKB article Documents that have attached templates take a long time to open in Word 2002 and in Word 2003 is not specific to those versions - it should work in Word 2000 too.

Information about the way Word 2000 searches for templates can be found in the following MSKB article: Description of how Word 2000 searches for its global template (Normal.dot). I don't know of any way to change this behavior.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: word 2000 template location problem (Word 2000

I also don't know how to change the timeout settings but assume you want to do this because the documents take a huge amount of time to open because of the attached template.

A relatively simple way to speed the document opening when this is the case is to put a template with the same name in your User Templates folder. Word looks here before looking in the described attached template path so you should be able to speed the file opening this way.

Code posted here <post:=333,706>post 333,706</post:> and <post:=153,405>post 153,405</post:> might also be useful to you.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: word 2000 template location problem (Word 2000

Thanks for all the input.

I think I might copy the templates to the local template location and see if it fix the problem.