Lounger
    Thanks

Word thinks printable area needs 2.75' left margin

Hi folks,

This one is driving me nuts. If I set up a new blank document in landscape format, or copy an existing one for editing, Word is insisting that the printable area requires the left margin to be set to at least 2.75". In portrait mode it's fine with whatever I set from 0.5" upwards. Print Preview and actual printing confirms this; it won't print anything closer than 2.75" from the left edge. It didn't use to do this; the documents I'm trying to copy and edit for a new version used to display and print just fine with 1" margins, but now won't. If I convert them to portrait, they will, though of course I don't get the full width of the text since it cuts off the right hand side.

Given that 2.75" just happens to be the difference between portrait and landscape page lengths (11" vs. 8.25") it seems that when it rotates the format from portrait to landscape it's not seeing the extra width, but that's just a guess. The headers and footers are in the right places relative to the top and bottom edges, and on existing documents the text that shows is in the right place relative to all four margins - in other words the document content itself is being re-formatted correctly into landscape proportions - but Word insists that the printable area doesn't start until 2.75" from the left edge and blanks out everything up to that vertical position. Any ideas?

Best regards

Jon Inge

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word thinks printable area needs 2.75' left margin

Are you using a standard paper size (Letter or A4)?

Do you have more than one printer available?
    If so, does the same problem occur on another printer?
    If not, you might try deleting the printer in the Printers and Fax Devices control panel, then adding it again.

You could also check for updated printer drivers on the manufacturer's website.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My Word 2003 has always opened up with a setting of

FORMAT / COLUMNS / WIDTH AND SPACING / COL#: 1 / WIDTH: 6 INCHES,

which is particularly visually noticeable in landscape mode. My wide margin appears on the right of the page, tho, which is at least a little more logical than your wide left margin. Anyway, just clicking

FORMAT / COLUMNS / PRESETS / ONE

physically returns the doc to its default margins. There has to be a setting that is causing this, someplace, but I've never found it. Have decided to consider it an endearing eccentricity of the program.

Another sneaky setting to check is

FILE / PAGE SETUP / MARGINS / GUTTER.

Any number in that slot will increase the selected margin, and it's not a setting that most of us are used to glancing at in the Page Setup screen.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word thinks printable area needs 2.75' left ma

Thanks, folks. I still don't know why this happens - it's not the first time - but I did connect a second printer and confirmed that it did NOT happen with that one. Rather than remove and re-install the first printer (it's on a networked print server and the procedure is remarkably unintuitive) I just re-booted my PC. Which then promptly locked up, so I suspect I have an incipient problem somewhere else, other than the fact that it's one month out of warranty. Anyway, I'm back up and running again now, and the printer driver is behaving itself. I'll definitely make note of your helpful comments though - much appreciated!

Best regards

Jon

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Look at the default page setup settings?
    You may have a strange paragraph in the Normal.dot template. Turn On the "Non printable characters and see what all is in there.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.