5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macros and other security threats (2003)

Hello loungers,

I recently copied and pasted some text from the Internet, and every time I save it, I get this warning: "This document contains macros, active X controls, XML expansion pack information... These may include personal information that cannot be removed by the "Remove personal information from the document on save" option. Does anyone know how to remove all those macros, active X controls, etc., or how to otherwise make that message stop popping up?

Sincerely,

JMT

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macros and other security threats (2003)

Just a guess.. try pasting as unformatted text (Edit ->Paste Special)

Thanks

If you can paste special as plain text, that is easiest. If you need to retain other elements, it could be that there is a visible or invisible tag or control that is generating the objection. In some cases, if you press Alt+F9 to toggle on the display of field codes, you can see tags that can be removed.

If none of the above helps and the information is not sensitive, you could post the document for inspection.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Jscher and Dom Donald,

What wound up working was toggling the disply of field codes, deletin them, and then using the "Paste Special" function into a new document as a "Formatted Text (RTF)." The text is copied in with the formatting, but whatever was causing the issue was left out.

Both elements are necessary, but interestingly, it only works if I first delete the field codes and then copy and paste as special. If I copy and paste as special and then in the new document, delete the filed codes, the macros warning continues to pop up.

Thank you!

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Once a document contains macro-like elements, it can be difficult to convince Word that they have been removed completely; I often get the security warning with documents that to the best of my knowledge are entirely free of such elements. So it's best to make sure that you don't copy such elements into the document in the first place.