Star Lounger
    Thanks

Repair Explorer (XP SP2)

A problem has occurred in Explorer where it hangs for a long time when I try to use the File menu (just the file menu) or when I try to delete folders. Is there a way to repair Explorer without re-installing XP?

thanks all

Thanks

Re: Repair Explorer (XP SP2)

This may be an indication of another problem, but you could try using the Systen File Checker.

Do you have any issues when you open the Open or Save As... dialogue in any other applications?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif

All other apps work ok, this problem seems to be limited to Explorer, and just the File menu. I can't create folders, or use the right click to delete folders, but deleting individual files works as normal with right click. If I click on the File menu the hourglass comes up for about 5 minutes and then disppears but the file menu doesn't open. I am able to open another instance of Explorer while this is happening, but again can't use the File menu. I guess something has corrupted it, but I don't know if it can be repaired without re-installing XP itself

Thanks

In Explorer > Tools > Folder Options, I would recommend not having "Automatically search for network folders and printers" selected. If you have any mapped drives, check the validity of each mapping.

It may also be worth running a full chkdsk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (14.5 KB, 0 views)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif

I've run sfc and chkdsk, and removed the check in auto search for network folders, and restarted the PC, but there is no improvement. I can't identify what may have caused it, but I have a deep suspicion I'm going to have to re-install XP on this one...

thanks for your help

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

If the PC is networked, do you have any network devices turned off?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

We may assume that this is not caused by a virus or (hopefully) your AV program would have warned you of it, BUT it could be a result of something that has been installed lately that's causing this specialized slowdown in Explorer. The quick and easy way to look is Start, Run, msconfig to see what's running at startup to see if you can spot an entry that you don't remember or are not familiar with. It's possible... Seems a shame to reinstall Windows when together we ought to be able to find a culprit.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi all

I've checked to see what's running and have removed some non-essential things like Logitech drivers, but everything in there predates the problem by quite a long way. It has occurred that re-creating my profile may possibly solve the problem, as sfc didn't find anything to get excited about. Be a pain to lose all my personalised settings and email names list, but maybe I can copy those over. The PC is networked, but there has been no change on the network recently. This problem started earlier this week, and as far as I'm aware nothing changed just before or at the time. However, if anyone else has had a similar problem, that could point me in te right direction!

thanks to all those who reply and help

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Guys

just for your information, in case anyone else comes across this post looking for a solution to a similar problem, I solved it by going back to a previous restore point. It all now works properly. Don't know what the cause was, I'm afraid, but I did finally find a solution without having to reinstall XP

thanks to all who responded for your help. You know who you are!

: )