3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Uninstall SoundMax (XP Pro SP2)

I got a new Dell OptiPlex 755 in October of 2007. When checking Dell's website for updates, it recommended installing SoundMax. I don't have a soundcard and wasn't thinking about what I was doing with that. Now I can't get SoundMax off my computer. I can uninstall it through Add/Remove Programs or through Device Manager and whenever I reboot, it reinstalls. It's not a big deal, but I'd like it off.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Uninstall SoundMax (XP Pro SP2)

1. You HAVE a sound card integrated into the motherboard.

2. If you prefer to uninstall SoundMax audio driver (and High Definition Audio Driver Package KB835221 also), you must to disable, not uninstall, SoundMax Integrated Digital HD Audio from Device Manager. If you uninstall it, Windows will discover it and install the driver again on the next boot.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, proving my ignorance here. If I have a sound card integrated into the motherboard (I remember it came disabled or something when we bought it), how do I enable it? Do I have to have speakers to hear sound? When my modem dials out when sending a fax, I don't hear the dial tone even.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

1. If the sound card is disabled, it is marked with red X in Device Manager. If the card is enabled but you don't hear the sound - I presume your computer has internal speaker or external speakers are properly connected and powered on - check "Sounds and Audio Devices" from Control Panel.

To do so, you may also click Start > Run, type MMSYS.CPL and hit Enter.
    Sounds and Audio Devices Properties window will open. On the first tab ("Volume") make sure that Mute checkbox is unchecked and "Place volume icon in the taskbar" is checked. Then click Sounds tab, select any sound (marked by small loudspeaker) from "Program Events" list and test the sound by pressing a button with black triangle ("play") on the bottom next to "Sounds" box. If you don't hear the sound, check speakers volume.

2. If you have Conexant 56K V.9x DFVc Modem integrated into the motherboard, it has no speaker, that's why you do not hear a dial tone when you are trying to dial a number. If you have another modem (with speaker, which usually looks like small black cylinder with a hole), open Phone and Modem Options from Control Panel (or click Start > Run, type TELEPHON.CPL and hit Enter), then on Phone and Modem Options window click Modems tab, next click Properties button, and on the next window, depending of your modem, find "Speaker volume" slider (usually under Modem tab) and adjust volume level.